PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 7000 PCI next week?

RedPhoenix
01-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Could it be (gasp) true?

ATI says they're gonna show up on the shelves next week.. They sound a lot like the Radeon VE. The cheaper Radeon for those of us with PCI machines...

I wonder how buggy they're going to be...

RP

Mactacular
01-08-2002, 04:51 PM
ATI has renamed the originally planned Radeon VE PCI to the Radeon 7000 PCI to match with their new naming scheme. I really do hope that the 7000 PCI ships soon, many users have been waiting for the Radeon VE that was promised at MacWorld New York.

hartello
01-09-2002, 01:42 AM
I was among the first ones to acquire a Radeon card and although I have (with the help of Guru's forum) been able to sort out most of the problems, some still exist.
I would like to try the 7000 but the resolutions for Digital Flat Panels posted by ATi are really limited and won't support my Samsung 180T (or lots of others either).
After reading the reviews for ATi's most recent software upgrade at Versiontracker, I have to wonder what's going on in the great white north.

Jim

chicagodan
01-13-2002, 11:49 AM
The ATI website includes some puzzling info about the Radeon 7000 -- while it's a PCI card, it requires OS 9.2.1 or higher. Of course, you can't put OS 9.2.1 on anything but a native G3 or G4 (unless someone knows of a fix ... if so, please let me know of it.)

So who is this card for, Beige G3 owners only? Strange, since the Radeon for Mac can go into any number of PCI PPC machines. The Beige G3 seems like a ridiculously small market for a new product launch.

lasvegas
01-13-2002, 04:07 PM
As Kaye pointed out in this post below (http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000280.html), the 7000 will work in Mac OS 9.0 or later.