PDA

View Full Version : Radius Thunder Card

redress
01-11-2002, 11:25 AM
I bought a Radius Thubnder Card on ebay because it was cheap. Put in in a UMax 9000 and the screen doesn't even light up. Do you have to have the right drivers for the screen to light up? I thought you'd at least get a lit screen...Pardon the stupidity.

lasvegas
01-11-2002, 05:45 PM
If the screen doesn't come up, you got stuck with a PeeCee card. Most video cards are not interchangable between PCs and Macs. Check Apple System Profiler (Under your Apple menu) to see if your computer recognizes the card as a "video" card.

redress
01-11-2002, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the answer, but it is a Mac card - got it from a guy in Kentucky who says it was working when he pulled it out. I had no drivers for it, but shoved it in the Umax which came with no video card and the screen didn't light up at all. Now I've got some drivers, but will have to pull the hard drive and hook it up to another machine to load them. I tried it in my G4 with no drivers and it didn't light up the screen either...Is the card bad or does it need drivers just to light up the screen?

lasvegas
01-12-2002, 03:57 AM
The card should work without drivers. The driver extensions are for 2D and 3D acceleration and perhaps patches to the Monitors control panel to allow wider resolution settings. If the card has any socketed chips, try placing the card on a flat hard surface and pressing down the chips with your thumb to make sure they are properly seated. Wear a ground strap on your wrist if you have one available. As the only video card on the system, I can imagine diagnostics might be a little difficult.

redress
01-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Just what I figured. Thanks very much for the help. I'm still convinced that I have a DOA card but I'll try all of it one more time...

kaye
01-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Which Radius Thunder model is it? This one? http://www.sur-tech.com/cgi/page?item,rdusthclr16 k

redress
01-12-2002, 03:56 PM
DVA 71326382555 is the number on the card. I t also ASSY 0012702-0002. The card is so long it goes all the way to the slot supports at the back of the computer. It's supposedly a Radius Thunder, but Lord knows which one...it was built in 1996...

redress
01-12-2002, 03:57 PM
It's not the one in the photographs on the site to which you directed me...Thanks.

lasvegas
01-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Is this a NuBus or PCI card? This old of card could have a number of reasons it won't work on a modern display. The Radius Thunder was frequently made for fixed rate 19 and 21 inch monitors such as the old SuperMac displays. Also, they could have been made for Sinc-On-Green and/or Profile monitors. Any of these cases could cause it to not work on a Multi-Sync or SVGA displays.

I have a homemade adapter here that emulates a 19/21" Fixed Rate Monitor forcing a 1600x1200 output to an SVGA monitor. This was made for just this type of situation. It satisfies the connection jumpers is this type of card. It has an Apple 15 pin (2 rows) connector on the card side and a SVGA 15 pin (3 rows) connector on the monitor side. I'd be glad to send it to you for the cost of shipping.

redress
01-13-2002, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the offer - I have a couple of those adapters with the Mac output on the card side and the VGA on the other, and I have to use one on the multisynch I have on this G4. What I'm running is an Apple Multiscan 20" display on the 677 and I have an NVIDIA card in the machine. The fellow I got the card from was running it in a 9500. I guess it just went bad. Tried putting some pressure on all the mounted stuff with my thumb - still no luck. I'm sending it back to him. All I want is a cheap video card that will work in the Umax machine because it came without a video card...