PDA

View Full Version : PCI GeForce 2 work with mac?

Bigfat
12-08-2001, 06:17 PM
I recently heard that GeForce 2 PCIs MX400s work with macs out of the box, can anyone confirm this, if so, im selling my radeon 32mb and buying a Retail 64MB PCI Geforce 2 MX400 Video Card w/ TV-Out for 77$, less than half the price of the Radeon. So does it? or doesn't it, and if so, anyone know of any problems with it?

------------------
--bigfat

ricercar
12-08-2001, 10:52 PM
Since I work for NVIDIA now, I'll check on this question Monday. However, this seems not bloody likely to me without any EEPROM update.

When I worked for a different graphics chip company in a previous life, using a Wintel platform PCI card in a PCI Macintosh was not possible because one platform is big endian and the other is little endian. I forget specifics, but Macintosh and Wintel software each find the most significant bit on opposite ends of a binary value. For example
110b equals 1x4 + 1x2 + 0x1 (6 in base 10) or
110b equals 1x1 + 1x2 + 0x4 (3 in base 10)

Basically this means that hardware can be identical, but the firmware/BIOS on the card usually needs to be specifically updated for the target platform.

LATER:
Here is a URL regarding cross-platform updates for GeForce3 cards.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/flashing_pc_geforce3.html

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 09 December 2001).]

Bigfat
12-09-2001, 09:05 AM
Yeah, but those are GeForce 3's, not 2's. What I heard is that 2's work on a mac right out of the box...(at least the kind im referring to)

ricercar
12-09-2001, 09:13 AM
Same rules apply.

dragon_x
12-09-2001, 09:27 PM
I think that the hackers have had better success with 'late' model macs - like the Sawtooth boards, maybe even the Yosemite boards. I think some PC flashers can work to flash it over with the Mac 'bios/firmware' - and it might even work to flash back. There would always be little differences in the card that would prevent this from working. Even if it did work, there is not telling if it would continue to work -say with Mac OS 9.5 or Mac OS 10.5 or whatever comes downt he pike.

It would be nice if we could get a high performance and inexpensive card that was supported. You can lay all the blame at ATI though - they are bastards - really - and litterally. The ATI RAGE128 is still a very good 2D/MPEG2 DVD video card - that is no longer sold. The RADEON PCI/AGP is nice but a little expensive and the RADEON VE PCI looks like a great value at around $130 (and dual head too) but I bet we do not see this until 2003. nVidia does not seem to be much better that this, but then they are new, so they have an excuse. Hopefully one of the nVidia card vendors will see the light and offer a supported card option. Those V4 & V5's are pretty good - if you do not need OS X.

ricercar
12-10-2001, 08:54 PM
Ooh. I was admonished by the GeForce3 PM: "We do not want to encourage or enable end users to use PC boards on Macintoshes."

This makes me think they're anxious. Whatever could they be anxious about? Gosh, http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif I'm stumped.

ricercar
12-13-2001, 01:58 PM
Here's what you want; this guy claims there _are_ out-of-the-box GeForce 2 cards!
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/hr.gif
Flashing a PC GeForce card with a Mac ROM Image.
http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm

The following cards are known to work with this method: (Get retail, OEM and bulk cards have slow RAM [>5.5 ns], and wont work, nore will the 200's or 400's I dont think.)

Hercules GeForce 2 MX AGP
ELSA Gladiac MX AGP
Leadtek Winfast GeForce 2 MX AGP
Dell OEM GeForce 2 MX AGP
ASUS V7100 -GeForce 2MX AGP

The following cards don't even need to be flashed and work right out of the box!:

Creative Labs 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 MX PCI (Works with or without a card in the AGP slot, but might have QuickTime conflicts if there is, meaning no sound))
Hercules GeForce 2 MX PCI (dont know about the conflics on this one)
Many GeForce3 Cards have a MacOS note on there System Requiremnts. They SHOULD work.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 13 December 2001).]

Bigfat
12-13-2001, 08:39 PM
Hmm, so do you think its limited to the Hercules(Or is Hercules the only kind made, im not really familiar with the hundreds of PC video cards out here). Or does this apply to all GeForce 2 MX PCIs, if so, then a 72$ 64mb card is sahweet

------------------
--bigfat

Bigfat
12-13-2001, 09:08 PM
Ok, I was reading that someone got an PNY Verto 64MB Geforce2 MX400 to work right out of the box in 10.1 and 9, ect. But its AGP, not PCI. Would getting the PCI ver. be different? I found the excact same model, both in AGP and PCI, and everything looks the same.

------------------
--bigfat

ICCAFSN
12-14-2001, 03:40 AM
I don't have anything to contribute, but I'm very interested to find out how this thing pans out. I've got an upgraded 8500 with an ixMicro card I'd like to scrap for an OpenGL-compatible card (I've game deprived for too long - I can play Starcraft only so much) that doesn't cost the limbs that ATI wants for their cards.

JimSSmith
12-19-2001, 10:34 PM
I am like ICCAFSN, I have an interest in figuring out how to make a PCI video card for PC's, like the nVidia GeForce 2 work in a Mac (Clones, actually as I have a PowerWave 120 running with a PowerLogix G3/300 and a UMAX J700 with a Sonnet G4/400 upgrade cards) with a PCI bus. The units both came with IXMICRO cards, one with an UltraRez card and the other with a Twin Turbo card. I would like to get something that is current in each machine as the IXMICRO stuff is no longer supported.

Any specific instructions for adding up to date video cards from the PC world to a PCI Mac would be really appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Bigfat
12-20-2001, 05:56 PM
Well, I've been reading some more, and it sounds like only AGP PC cards can work with macs. Apparently the PCI versions of GeForce 2s have not been succesfully used on a PCI mac. Oh well... ;( guess the 200$ radeon is the only way to go.

------------------
--bigfat