PDA

View Full Version : funky Voodoo5 install = snowy screen

belzoid
08-10-2001, 04:17 PM
I just purchased a Voodoo5 PCI card for my Mac 8500. I planted it snuggly into the bottom PCI slot, y split power leads to one Firewire/USB PCI card, the other to my second internal hard drive. Drivers (v.1.1.3) are loaded and activated. Adapter connects my single resolution (1152x870, 75Hz) 21" Color Display to the PCI card.

All I get is a snowy flickering and banded field of static when computer launched. Some color of desktop picture dispersed among the snow field.

System profiler confused with PCI cards. Slot 2 with Firewire/USB card misnamed Voodoo5, with Card vendor ID 121A. Slot 3 correctly labels Voodoo5 with Card vendor ID: -1. Scanner connected to slot 2 does function normally however.

Any clues as to what to do?

Mactacular
08-11-2001, 02:04 AM
My first thought is maybe you've got some bad voodoo? But make sure that all your power cables are in there properly, all connected good, and extending from the power supply, some mismatched power cables could probably cause some weirdness with the Voodoo 5. I am using a Voodoo 5 in a Powermac 8600/XLR8 500Mhz G3/384MB RAM setup and it works just fine as long as the card is hooked up to the power properly. Good luck!

belzoid
08-11-2001, 02:34 AM
I am using a y-power cord that wasn't specifically included with the card, I'll try switching and using the one that was included. But they do look identical.

It's been suggested that I reset the CUDA switch but can't find this button switch anywhere.

kaye
08-11-2001, 03:47 AM
Go here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?mbppc8500.html and look at the left side of the diagram (actually the rear of the computer) for Cuda Reset. With the machine shutdown, press the button for at least 30 seconds. k

belzoid
08-12-2001, 04:31 PM
I looked everywhere visible for that CUDA switch with no luck. Until I could see on the diagram that it hides out behind the processor card which i would never have thought of removing to check. Thanks for the essential tip.

Unfortunately depressing it for 30sec. and restarting only gave me a black screen. Also, oddly enough I could not use keyboard commands to force quit the computer.

M.Brane
08-12-2001, 09:40 PM
At this point I would remove both cards and get the system back to normal, then try the Voodoo by itself to see if it works. I think I would also check the PRAM battery.

------------------
I started out with nothing.
I still have most of it left!

despaxas
08-13-2001, 03:51 AM
I use a y adapter that was not originally included also, and it does not fit snugly, so the monitor occasionally blanks out and gets weird. A little jiggle on the connecter always does the trick.

belzoid
08-14-2001, 04:57 AM
Could it be possible that my monitor is incompatible with the card? I'm using an Apple 21" Color Display with a single resolution of 1152x870, 75Hz.

Will the Voodoo card automatically overide the built-in video card on the 8500 or am missing out on something and have to activate a switchover manually?

belzoid
08-14-2001, 08:51 AM
This card is driving me nuts. It can't be this hard to install.

I've made sure that i have the proper drivers v.1.1.2 after being told the 1.1.3b were not to be used. I was also instructed to upgrade the firmware via the 3Dfx MacTools control panel. This however gives me nothing when i open it up - no dialog box or controls to use. The menu bar only gives me a Quit option. It is v.1. What should i get after opening it? And what is the latest version?

The screen continues to display static and a multitude of flickering banding horizontal lines.

DHB
08-14-2001, 11:11 AM
belzoid...

Save yourself from the insanity...I think it is your monitor.

I notice you didn't say 'multi-sync' or some such term.
Fixed resolution...I don't think it says squat to the Mac about what it is or what it is capable of. The video card needs to know what the monitor wants...

Find a known good monitor (multi-sync, of course) of recent vintage and see what you get. I recall having a similar problem with a Sony 20SE and a 660av Mac...except in reverse (if my memory serves me properly).

Sony provided an adapter that 'informed' the 660's built-in video chip of what the monitor was. It did this by 'freezing' the monitor's refresh rate & resolution. The adapter had some dips on it, when set in the proper combination, that not only got the 660 and 20se playing well together but, at a later date, also got a non-multi-sync at my office to play well with my Duo 280's mini-dock video port as well.

I don't know if an 'adjustable' adapter, such as mine, will solve your problem but I bet that is what's going on. Remember when 'sync on green' was a four letter word? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif

You might find this thread of some interest: http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000206.html

despaxas
08-15-2001, 02:10 AM
exactly...check your email, but the jist is that the adapter your using may not be able to pass that one resolution that your monitor requires.

Don't worry about the drivers, though 1.1.3b is totally fine to use, it mainly fixed some RAVE probs. The monitor should work regardless, the drivers are only to provide acceleration. The MacTools control panel will only show up on the monitor connected to the V5. The V5 just adds another monitor port, your built-in monitor port (and also the video out on 8500s) still works simultainiously.

odibus
09-24-2001, 11:54 PM
I had kind of the same type of problem when I installed my Vodoo3. I had flashed the card fine and then hooked my SVGA monitor to the Vodoo....then different color lines and the white "snow". What solved my problem was taking the MAC to VGA adapter off the Mac video port that I had been using with my monitor. So, check that.

spaz2
09-25-2001, 01:33 AM
Same issue a year ago when I first started playing with the voodoo and an old mac monitor that was NOT multi-sync. Picked up a cheap Samsung SyncMaster and the snow went awy...

belzoid
09-25-2001, 02:22 AM
<What solved my problem was taking the MAC to VGA adapter off the Mac video port that I had been using with my monitor.>

How were you able to make the connection of monitor to cpu than?

I can't quite justify the cost of a replacement 21" monitor just to accomodate the addition of a video card. Especially since its performance enhancement isn't of such great importance that i can't do without it.

DHB
09-25-2001, 01:00 PM
belzoid...

Wrong thought process...Justification is for word processing...use RATIONALIZATION...the most powerful thought process available. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Works for me all the time. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/cool.gif

However, you might want to check out Griffin Technology's video adapters...they have a slew of 'em at http://www.griffintechnology.com/video/.

The descriptions are a little light but there must be something that will work for you. I'd contact them with VERY specific details (eg. single-resolution Apple monitor, etc.) and see what they have.

This one...
"Mac Connect 0262-PCM

Connects most Mac monitors including Apple's Multiple Scan displays to a PC. PC type HD-15 Male to Mac DB-15 Female connectors"

looks like a possible candidate...with a bit more explanation. Just $16.00 ...sounds toooooo easy. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I also found this... http://www.dougintosh.com/ware/vga_adapter/_d_VGA_adapter1.html, which specifically mentions "Apple Standard Display Modes" & Apple's 21" resolution of 1152 x 870. It is an adapter made by Philips.

This uses a dip switch-based setup and cost of less than $13.
Sounds about right.

spaz2
09-25-2001, 06:09 PM
The Samsung is a non-mac monitor so it comes with a standard vga socket that plugs into the voodoo card directly...no adapter...if one were to attempt to hook this monitor up to the Apple built in port and card (ie the ATI product that shipped built in with the Beige G3s) an adapter would be needed as the port is for Mac/Apple monitors.