PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Digital Mini DV Camera?

beeko
08-06-2001, 10:22 PM
Which Sony digital video camera between $500-1500 is a good buy, with fire wire, decent resolution, and a good lense for use with Final Cut Pro produced documentary?

kingbee
08-23-2001, 06:50 PM
Sody had a model # 900 something or other that had 3 CCD chips that captures a nice picture. IF you have the money in your budget, you'll want to get a 3 CCD camera. Smaller consumer cameras are good for home videos and really low budget video. Canon makes the XL1 which rules, but costs around 3 to 4 grand. The best Mini DV camera I have used. The sony with 3 CCD lays down a good signal. The consumer ones give you more noise (though realatively low compared to 8mm or Hi 8.

You'll also want an external Microphone.

beeko
08-30-2001, 02:34 PM
kingbee,
Thanks for the information. I think I've decided on the Sony trv-900.
It's getting some pretty good reviews and the prices are lower that I thought after I checked pricescan.com.

kingbee
08-30-2001, 07:44 PM
Good Choice! I use a little Canon ZR-20 for my family vids. Works pretty good. Looks much better than my old 8mm Sony. Used to use the demo XL-1 where I used to work.

What kind of machine are you running FCP on? What are you going to shoot a Documentary about? Just curious.

Start a video production business as a sole-proprietorship, keep the reciepts, and write off your expenses on a Schedule C. Search MSN.com tax info to learn how. Might as well.

bondibeige
09-06-2001, 02:23 PM
Agreed on the Sony cameras , or Cannon
and yes 3 ccd and yes external mic (A MUST!).

We did some academic meetings, interviews and outdoors documentary work with a Sony 3chip I think trv 900 and used a Shotgun stereo mic that was camera mounted. Good sound , broadcast quality video in a compact package.

If you want to know I can email and find out the exact model ##s

slipshot
09-07-2001, 03:32 AM
Affordable? Depends upon your point of view. It is definitely out of your stated price range, but...

Like a wicked-fast RAID, how do you put a price on speed? In this case, change "speed" to "beauty".

I own a Sony PDR-150 (three 1/3" CCD's) and the picture is stunning. A "prosumer" camera, the quality of picture really shows up when compared to other 3 CCD's with smaller chips. It is much richer and fuller. If you are interested in advanced picture quality, make sure to research the abilities of the camera. It might be worth your while to invest more. Don't just count on a 3 CCD camera. Look at the size of the chips, the lense, in-camera options, low light capabilities, AND the quality of the mic.
I paid quite a bit (well spent I add) on my Sony. But the mic is kind of weak, and I am researching better ones now. You may want to figure this into your budget as well, especially if shooting a documentary, when wireless and boom mics can be obtrusive and/or impossible.

Faster is better and worth the price.
Beautiful is better and worth the price.
...of course I just bought a Miles instead of the ATTO, ...but I'm editing on a G3. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif