PDA

View Full Version : Simple Monitor screen size question.

trout2
09-04-2001, 06:09 PM
Hi Folks,
I was just looking at a auction for a 17" monitor, and the description mentioned that it has 16.1" veiwable diagonal screen.
I wonder if Apple made a 16" monitor, or if all so-called 17" monitors really only have the 16+" viewable screen?
My curiosity stems from the fact that I just bought a monitor on ebay which was listed as an Apple 16" monitor.
TIA, Trout

ChrisYip
09-04-2001, 09:59 PM
there was a big blow-up a few years ago when people realised that 17" wasn't 17" for all manufacturers - that's why they all list "viewable" now, rather than the external size. I think people were in fact suing NEC and the like for misrepresentation or something - class-action for failure to disclose the actual viewable.. - anyways...

sounds to me like they are listing the actual viewable - go by the model number - I think Apple had the 1710 and the 1705 as their 17" tube screens back in about '96...

Chris

mactheripper
09-05-2001, 03:43 AM
All so-called 17" have an actual viewable of 16+.

There were, however, some medium-size monitors that were listed at 16" and have sizes proportionally lower. I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I'd bet yours should be called a 17".

Whew! Call me kaye! Here are some links.
Here's a manual (ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/monitors/030173616ColorSU.PDF) for a 16" Apple display. Apparently there was one.
Apple Manuals Site (http://www.info.apple.com/manuals/manuals.taf?search=Title&string=display&manlang=&start=1&lang=&geo=English)

dragon_x
09-05-2001, 08:09 AM
Most monitors listed over 20" are actually only about 19"+ viewable. I've seen monitors listed as 22" and they only had a 19.8" viewable screen - the sales man even showed me!

Anybody who has been in this business any length of time will tell you most things are a scam. Fortunately Apple and Gurus have standards! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe