PDA

View Full Version : ProFormance 4 Card availability

aricher
09-03-2001, 11:26 PM
Hi there - does anyone know when the dual monitor (32 MB per monitor) ProFormance 4 card will be shipped, how much it will cost, etc.? I am interested in getting one of these soon but will settle for a single ProFormance 3 32 MB card - if Gurus had them. Didn't these used to be for sale or am I losing it? The Formac website doen't even list any graphics cards anymore - what gives?

kaye
09-04-2001, 12:28 AM
Around Macworld NY Formac announced redirecting their efforts towards other hardware. Video cards are dead. The ProFormance4 is vaporware and the ProFormance3+32MB card is a goner. The 16MB card is in short supply. k

Ketone
09-04-2001, 07:56 AM
So still no Dual AGP DVI cards available?

Appian where are you???

Please manufacture a Jeronimo 2000 Mac AGP Dual DVI card.

Ketone

dragon_x
09-04-2001, 09:03 AM
So still no Dual AGP DVI cards available?
Well the PCI RADEON VE should be able to run dual DVI - I think. If you only need 2D you really should not need AGP -except you may want the PCI slot for a non-video card.

You may be able to pick up a GF-2mx 64MB dual head. Someone at XLR8yourmac found the (or one of) the nVidia card OEM companies... Its possible a Windows card with DVI connectors (or VGA->DVI adaptors) could work.

ixMicro actually got their dual head out the door before they went under... I've seen it for sale, but its overpriced I do not think the drivers work past 8.6... if at all.

Hopefully an nVidia card vendor will setup and offer official Mac support http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

[This message has been edited by dragon_x (edited 04 September 2001).]

aricher
09-04-2001, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the input. I have a few questions though. It is not imperative that I run two monitors from one card. It is inperative that I get the best 2D Photoshop,Illustrator, Quark) performance possible AND have the ability to get future driver upgrades. The ProFormance 3 - 32 sounded like the best card in its class for 2D but now driver upgrades seem to have vanished. This being the case, what are my options for the best 2D card on the market - I do very little gaming so 3D doesn't matter too much.

Thanks, Adam