PDA

View Full Version : Quicksilver + old ATI = aaaaahhhhhh!!!

wafflelad
08-24-2001, 12:51 PM
I just put my old ATI XclaimVR (rage II, I believe) PCI card in my new G4/867 and nothing is as it should be. The second monitor is recognized, but the video card is listed in the monitors control panel and control strip as "VGA Display 2". It does not even have a VGA connector, but the older apple video. The only choice I get for display is 640x480 at 256 colors. I thought that I could solve my problems by installing the corresponding ATI drivers, however the installer and the installed software do not recognize the card. So, now I have no control over the card and no access to the video capture and output capabilities. If anyone has seen anything like this and/or would know why this is happening and how to fix it I would be very pleased.

magician
08-24-2001, 02:26 PM
looks like another case where ATI has prematurely ceased driver development on a perfectly good card.

which version of the card's software did you install? I would be very cautious....restore your Mac to defaults, so you know you have a good software base, then use the software update control panel to update to the latest revisions of everything....then check and confirm on the ATI site which latest driver is appropriate. Depending on whether you have the Rage 128VR or the earlier XClaimVR, you will need different drivers.

wafflelad
08-24-2001, 02:32 PM
that's exactly the steps I followed and it got me here.

magician
08-28-2001, 12:11 AM
i suspect that you installed the wrong drivers. You may have selected the wrong installer, right?

if nothing else, the Mac should at least correctly detect the card.

i would carefully cull any drivers that you installed, then check to confirm exactly which card you have, and then be certain to download the correct drivers.