PDA

View Full Version : Bizzarro!

dragon_x
07-31-2001, 07:53 PM
I have a YOSEG3/500 running MacOS 9.1 (did a clean install - originally) and I have a BIZARRO monitor issue. I have dual PCI RADEONs.

Whem my computer wakes from sleep the monitors change resolutions and the menu bar even switches. This is not so bad, but the killer is that the 17" monitor goes out of sync (probably because it is being drive at unsupported settings). So I can not even change it back. I am forced to keyboard shortcut to shutdown/restart. I then have to turn the 17" monitor off on reboot and it comes back fine - It took me a long time to figure this work around out.

I did install X (when I had a V3) and then resintalled X when I got the dual RADEON setup. X like that better, but still did not like it enough - but I havent attempted to run X in a month or more.

This all started when I was in UT - in 2D mode and switched the menu bar. I then played UT a bit but when I got out of UT it some how screwed my monitors up.

This is driving me nutz! It does remind me of the half-ass way that X deals with video - esp dual video.

Any ideas of how to fix this? (besides a clean reinstall).

I'm thinking of putting my PREFS folder in the trash (temporarily).

Thanks

kaye
07-31-2001, 08:05 PM
I would zap PRAM/NVRAM from a cold start, the one where you hold down cmd-opt-p-r while you count at least three startup chimes, to flush those resolutions and force the monitors and video cards to communicate with each other what the monitors will do and what the cards will do. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 31 July 2001).]

M.Brane
08-01-2001, 12:14 AM
I have a folder on the main level of my boot volume titled "Death Row". http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This is where I put stuff that I think I don't need to let it sit for a while, but I can still use the trash for stuff I KNOW I don't want. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
I started out with nothing.
I still have most of it left!

dragon_x
08-05-2001, 12:20 AM
I tried the NVRAM Zap. The system succesfully booted into X. I got out of this and classic seemed to work fine for a while, but the issue still crops up. My 20" Sony is identified via the monitors control panel. My 17" Panisonic is not. The Sonly is connected over a KVM switch, the Panisonic is directly connected.

I am baffled. I think 8.6 handles multiple displays MUCH better --- probably even anything PRE 9.1.

This is krazy. ATI sucks... and I'm thinking Apple is to blame as well. I still havent resorted to trashing all my prefs or doing a clean install and I'm wondering if those fixes will do anything at all. Hopefully 10.1 will fix everything.

I had a similar issues with my V5 + Radeon setup. It was not this bizarre, but I thought it was an issue with the V5 + 17" monitor. A different 17" did not seem to have the issue IIRC.

This is driving me nuts. Macintosh systems are not suppose to act like this http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

MacMikester
08-05-2001, 09:38 AM
You have so many variables at play here. it's hard to figure out the problem. If clearing NVRAM did not help, it seems that when your system wakes it is reading some funky preference files that keep introducing the problem (assuming that this hardware config once worked with no problem). I would wholesale clean out the preference folders in ALL of your systems of any possibly related prefs: Monitors, ColorSync, Display, Control Strip,etc. and check the UT ini file for any setting that could reintroduce the problem.

HTH

dragon_x
08-09-2001, 10:47 PM
Thank MM,

I think I found a work around. When I keep the 2nd monitor off there are no issues. The OS is no longer confused. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I hear a rumor that this is a known issue and will be fixed with 9.2 - probably need TOMBextrator, but if it works- just gotta burn a new install disk and I'm set!

Maybe it is because the 17" Pan monitor is not detected? That is the Mac knows my main monitor is a Sony 20" but it only thinks the 2nd one is a VGA. Of course that should not matter, but....

This issues seems earily similar to issues people are having with 10 http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

crazyeights
08-15-2001, 10:14 AM
DX, is this happening coming out of full sleep, or just monitor sleep?

c8

magician
08-15-2001, 03:12 PM
i friggin' hate Radeons, and i hate ATI--the only remaining manufacturer of video cards for the Mac.

i'm running THREE of them in a Yose, myself....2D scrolling acceleration works, get this, on ONE display.

trying to play GAMES on these damn things is guaranteed to drop me into MacsBug.

i guess i should count my blessings and be pleased that my Mac apparently wakes up from sleep just fine, and reboots cleanly with no resolution problems.

grrr...

dragon_x
08-15-2001, 03:47 PM
Well compaired to Mag's other rants on ATI this is fairly mild. Maybe they should put you on their Quality Control team.... NOTHING would get by you http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Overall I do like my RADEON's - they have good 2D, but one monitor is noticably faster at scrolling than the other. Hopefully they will continue to advance their driver developement for the standard PCI RADEON - even though the PCI RADEON VE and AGP RADEON2 (8500) are coming out. Well nVidia is in the mix now and some of the retail PCI and AGP cards do work in some Macs without any flashing.... I hope Gurus can carry some (with strong disclaimers - where necessary) but I fear it would be to much work. The cool thing (unlike ATI) is that the cards are cross compatible out of the box - no markting bullshit. ATI needs to take the same approach really. They are taking some plays out of the nVidia playbook though and they probably have more cash that nVidia so they are ahead of the game - unless ATI screws the pooch. They are outsourcing much of the card production to other vendors - like nVida does - so I would imagine some of these vendors could make a dual card - that would run on both Macintosh and Windows (maybe even Linux?) out of the box. There was a list somewhere of all the new ATI vendors... not sure if any are nVidia vendors now - if they switched or are making both. I know some are mobo manufacturer (asus is one I think).

I guess ForMac dropped out of the race? Did they announce anything about X? I think someone quoted a French site indicating that ForMac was not going to update to X - not sure if this only applies to FRANCE or Europe... or if it is some sick hoax. I never bought any of their cards, but its nice to have options.

And Rember

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe