PDA

View Full Version : Multiple monitors

Macdaddi2u
07-26-2001, 05:21 PM
I have an 8500 OS 9.1 G3/500. I use an Xclaim 128VR and a Voodoo 5 5500 to run my monitors. In another thread there was some discussion of multiple monitors being run off one card, the Radeon VE (soon to be released). I have two VGA monitors (viewsonic). My understanding with the Radeon VE is that I could plug one monitor straight into the VGA port and use an adapter to plug the second monitor into the DVI port. Could I do that with the Voodoo 5 5500, it has one VGA port and one DVI port. Would that work with the simple addittion of an adapter?

dragon_x
07-26-2001, 05:42 PM
No. You might be able to get a mirroed display with the V5 though. I've heard of this with the old ixMicro cards. They often had one old style Mac connector and the VGA/PC style connector. So you could hook up two monitors - even though it was not designed for this. You could also damange the card, esp over time.

As is you can run 3 monitors - 2 off PCI cards and then your built-in video. Of course getting the RADEON VE (I think it requires 9.1) would enable you to run two or three monitors and save a PCI slot http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have a dual RADEON setup and the 2nd RADEON (33Mhz PCI) is kinda slow for 2D scrolling. Its about equal to the 66Mhz RADEON for movies and 3D games though.

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

Macdaddi2u
07-26-2001, 11:18 PM
Thanks, I guess I wont try the duel monitors on the voodoo. I really like the voodoo card, but by next week I will have to give up something to make room for the miles 2 card. My choices are Xclaim 128VR, the Voodoo 5 5500 or XLR8 USB. Hard choice cause I like them all.
I probably will give the new Radeon VE a try though and hope its as good as the voodoo (I need to know more about the VE first though). The MSG for the Radeon VE is significantly lower than the Radeon Mac Edition and I am really wondering what has been lost to enable the price cut (features or quality or both?).
I did read about the two radeons in, I think it was "beast". Anyway Mag didnt have much nice to say about a radeon when any other ATI card was with it in the same machine. I believe he said they were OK by themselves though. I love reading Mag's stuff, he's so colorful http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
And in case I havent mentioned it lately, this site is the BEST!!!!! And for all of you who take the time to help me....I want you to know I appreciate you very much, Thank you

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 27 July 2001).]