PDA

View Full Version : Radeon into UMAX S900/XLR8 G3 upgrd. MacOS9.0.4

mikedard
07-04-2001, 03:12 PM
I just got off the phone with ATI Tech Support, they're saying I have to send back my Radeon PCI card because they don't work on the UMAX w/XLR8 G3's? I don't believe it. But it's not working. The ATI Accelerator Extension Icon is red X'd out @ start up. The ATI Display info says no ATI display products connected. I've moved the Radeon around into different level PCI slots, didn't help. Does anyone have the Radeon working in a S900. Do I have a dead Radeon card?
Hellppppp I want this card I bought a 21" NOKIA also.

ChrisYip
07-04-2001, 03:53 PM
Weird.
I have it working in my PTP225 that's running a G3/500 XLR8 board.. I'm using 9.1 too and I basically put the card in, rebooted, installed the full RADEON package, and then rebooted.. it seems to work fine even w/ the TwinTurbo card present...

PRAM zap?, Desktop rebuild? Minimal extensions? - test the usual culprits.. I've had problems w/ ATI stuff in the past (re: VR128) but this one has been flawless...

Chris

mikedard
07-04-2001, 04:19 PM
Chris
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going for the card replacement. ATI said they'd send out another one. That's if the mail order people will extend their return time limit.I did desktop rebuild, reset cuda, but I didn't zap the pram. I forgot... I did install a off brand firewire/USB PCI card, @ the same time no problem.
mike

dragon_x
07-04-2001, 04:40 PM
That does sound odd. Kaye has (had?) a RADEON PCI in a S900, I think.

I would make sure to disable ANY and ALL ATI extensions for either 9.04 or 9.1.
Shut down, install the card. Remove ANY other cards that you can.
Power up, install the latest ATI drivers.
Restart and see what happens.

You may need to put it in the #1 or #2 slot. I have two S900 and I was always able to put the PCI video in a lower slot, but they are not as fast as the RADEON.

You should also try a minimum extension set or sets and see what happens.

O'yea. Hitting the cuda is the same as Zapping the PRAM. Now if you zap the PRAM more than 3 (or is it 4) times in a row you also kill the NVRAM - which is probably what you are talking about. This may re-enable speculative access/processing but its not a huge deal with the G3, normally.

Some times pulling the PRAM battery is best. I think this completely kills the PRAM/NVRAM. I think leaving it out for 5 to 10 minutes is normally enough but some people like to leave it out overnight.

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

mikedard
07-04-2001, 05:00 PM
Yes,
I forgot to tell you my battery had been dead for awhile I had ordered one and was waiting for all the goodies to arrive in the mail before I cracked open the Beast. So I replaced the old dead battery also. It didn't kill the nvram, sometimes I even left the Beast uplugged which did kill the battery sooner. Didn't harm anything else other than seeing Woz's birthdate? I did remove all of the old ATI Extensions including OpenGL. Reloaded all the newest OpenGL, and then installed the newest ATI's stuff 1.1.1, after installing the PCI card. In the order the manual said. Thanks
Sincerely,
mike

kaye
07-04-2001, 08:22 PM
I have a Voodoo 5 in slot 2 of my S900. Radeon went into my PTP, never seen the S900. Slot 2 seems to work well with all of the video cards I have tried in the S900. k

dragon_x
07-04-2001, 08:22 PM
I even left the Beast uplugged which did kill the battery sooner. Didn't harm anything else other than seeing Woz's birthdate?

I assume by this you mean you did not see any issues. Still you want to be careful a lot of weird and subtle issues can occur when the PRAM batt goes bad. As far as I know, removing the battery should kill the NVRAM.

I suppose I could try installing my second RADEON PCI in my S900.... if I have time. I'm hoping to use it for my YOSE, since I have a V3 - I want dual monitors with X! I've heard multiple RADEON's can be troublesome.

Maybe Kaye will show up...

mikedard
07-05-2001, 02:52 AM
Well
Guess I'll have to move the Firewire/USB PCI or the Initio Ultra Wide SCSI 2 PCI. Which ever one is in slot 2. I did try slot 3 and it didn't work. Isn't slot 3 close enough to the PCI Bridge controller whatever? I'll reload the NVRAM. I'll let you know.
I do want to thank you guys!!!
Sincerely,
mike

dragon_x
07-05-2001, 02:25 PM
Normally you will want the SCSI in slot #1. If you have slow drives you can get away with it in other slots. The Combo card will probably need slot 1 or 2 for full functionality. You may only get USB or FIREWIRE in other slots.

Its still the way to go... If the RADEON works in slot #1 or 2 then it will be a matter of figuring out what cards you want most.

mikedard
07-05-2001, 03:09 PM
Shouldn't the ATI Radeon card work in the slower slots without acceleration? It loads all of the other ATI Extensions, just not the acceleration extension? It still should put video out?

dragon_x
07-05-2001, 11:02 PM
You really shouldnt need any extensions at all for any video card. Yes - you loose acceleration. Also remember the RADEON has extra stuff like S-Video out and DVI and possible DV/MPEG2 playback.

You might still get decient speed out of it though since the VRAM is so fast (166MhzDDR) and the GPU is fairly fast too..

ChrisYip
07-06-2001, 06:29 PM
Update on my RADEON situation....

I just installed a RADEON in my Yikes 350 which is now running an XLR8 G4/500 - it's working fine along with the stock ATI card that came with it. - all under 9.1

Going to now try something sneaky...

Put the RAGE 128VR into my PTP box and see if it will coexist with my Radeon and my IXMicroTwinTurbo cards - triple monitor system - here we come...

Chris

ChrisYip
07-06-2001, 07:05 PM
Did it - it works ;-)....

PTP 225 w/ XLR8 G3/500 - OS 9.1 / 256 MB RAM

All slots full now

Miles2
DualPort
MachFire
IXMicro TwinTurbo
Radeon
Rage VR128

Three monitors hooked up and running in spanning - two NEC 15XV+ and an Apple 14" MultiScan..

Excellent... and positively scary for a machine I bought for all of $300 CDN...

Very, very cool

Chris

magician
07-09-2001, 03:14 PM
chris, how is your 2D acceleration working on the Rage 128VR and the Radeon?

ChrisYip
07-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Hi - sorry if this sounds silly - but how can I test it?.. All the extensions appear to be working - both of them have Mac2TV on. What I did do was install a 4 MB SGRAM (I think) upgrade into the VR128. This is from a Matrox G200 upgrade that a colleague never used. - I even have all the TwinTurbo extensions running

Chris

hartello
07-10-2001, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm. . . . let's see, a UMAX S900 with a Radeon and a XLR8-G3 upgrade, OS is 9.1. Yep, I have one. The Radeon has proven to be a bit of a challenge. Slot two is the preferred slot (for me) . I tried it in several other slots and got nothing. Funny, all you have to do with an Orion or Nexus is just toss it in anywhere. I don't think they even have to be in a slot to work (kidding).
The two items that exist that are annoying are the start-up at 640X480 and then switches to 1280X1024 (you do get used to it) and occasional artifacts which stop when the graphics acceleration is turned off or at restart.
Software installation has to be done by the numbers, even installing it with the extensions off was crucial for me. I do have to say that the DVI out is a big plus if you can use it (flat panel w/ DVI in).
I have a new Voodoo 5500 sitting in it's box that I would like to try but I need to be sure I know what the deal is with software, what it takes to get both of the of the VSA chips to work etc. Maybe tomorrow.

Jim

mikedard
07-10-2001, 03:38 PM
Wow hopefuly this is the info I need the return time limit was up and I had to get it extended. I told them about you guys and that somebody would have a fix! I'll get back with the results.
Thanks,
mike

mikedard
07-13-2001, 03:23 AM
Jim
How correct you are, how correct are you? Yes it's as you say. Ditto... The good news is it's working!!!
Anything can cause the ATi to not work at install. I even had to slow down my XLR8 CPU card to get it yo work without halting! It was running at 453mhz and I had to drop it to 429mhz to get it to run stable? It is nice though.
You Guys are Great!!!
Thanks,
mike

hartello
07-14-2001, 01:16 AM
mike

Glad to hear your up and running. Your comment about slowing down the processor speed gives me an idea for a solution to my artifacts problem.
Think I'll drop back to 450mhz from 460mhz and see what happens.
To date, I think I'm the only one that has encountered this problem but I will update the world when I have an answer. Thanks for the tip.

Jim