PDA

View Full Version : Descrambling cable signals with my Mac

professorps
06-27-2001, 11:25 AM
OK, here's a tough one. I'm using the Apple Video Player to watch TV on my Mac. Since the signal is already running through my computer, it should be pretty easy to descramble the code with software. Is such software available anywhere? How hard would it be to take the code from a descrambler and turn it into a software app?

kaye
06-27-2001, 10:37 PM
Ah, use your Mac as a descrambler box. Interesting idea. k

magician
07-03-2001, 06:59 AM
brilliant idea, you would think.

I guess you would start by busting open the ROM on hardware decoders.

never seen it done. Which is sorta surprising, I guess.

I might have just missed it, too. I do not spend any time on the undernet, or Hotline.

dragon_x
07-03-2001, 08:41 AM
Sounds similar to using a computer to crack the MACRALvision FUBAR and other DVD/VIDEO SNAFUs

trag
07-03-2001, 05:18 PM
Spending an afternoon searching with Google will yield a lot of information on the general topic of cable descramblers.

Whether the Mac could do the decoding depends on what type of encoding your cable service is using. If the encoding is a digital cable system, then there is a chance that your Mac might be able to unscramble it.

However, if your system's encoding is one of the older frequency shift and filter schemes, you pretty much need some analog circuitry to undo the encoding.

It would make a fun six to twelve month project.

Macdaddi2u
07-08-2001, 07:15 PM
I have a friend in Fairfax VA. About six years ago he took a PeeCee and did what you are talking about, actually his would go a step further than what you want to do. The cable system in Fairfax is very high tech as those companies go. I guess the point is if he could do it with a PeeCee, why not a Mac.