PDA

View Full Version : NUBUS Video-What to use?????????????

mschark
07-02-2001, 05:32 PM
I am rebiulding a Radius 81/110 to use as an audio editing system. The onboard video is SLOWWWWWWW. I have tried several Radius NUBUS video cards for this sytem. I have not found any that will work with a modern OS (OS8.6->OS9.1) Have any of you been running an older mac with a NUBUS video card with OS8.6 or later? If so, what card and where do I get proper drivers/extensions. If anyone can point to me to a forum that deals with older macs it would be appreciated (other than lowendmac.com).

Thanks all!

kaye
07-02-2001, 08:08 PM
I am on a NuBus Power 120 running OS8.6 with a Radius Thunder IV GX*1600. Great card with resolutions up to 1600x1200 at Millions on a 21" monitor. But you need to remove the daughtercard 4x DSP's for Photoshop acceleration thru version 3.05 I think. Never tried the daughtercard with PS4. Daughtercard is also not compatible with a PDS G3/G4 card but the Thunder IV works great with a G3/G4 and does a far better job of acceling PS anyway.

Couple of cautions: some have reported that the control panel Dynamic Desktop which allows you to do on-the-fly key combinations breaks with OS8.5.x or 8.6 but no matter because you can make those changes on-the-fly in the Monitors or Monitors & Sound control panel. Dynamic Desktop does work for me. The other control panel, the important one, QuickColor, which provides the card's acceleration works fine in OS8.6 and I have heard, up thru 9.1.

Variations of the card:
Radius Thunder IV GX*1600, up to 1600x1200xMillions
Radius Thunder IV GX*1360, up to 1360x1024xMillions
Radius Thunder IV GX*1152, up to 1152x870xMillions
Radius Thunder24/GT, which is exactly like the 1152 card but does not have the DSP daughtercard, tho optionally can be installed.

Drivers for these cards are available on the vintage Radius site or I can send them. k