PDA

View Full Version : Fuse card playback

LMah
06-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Hi -

A client is thinking about getting a Fuse card, and a question he has is:

Will it play back Quicktime movies sent to him by friends through the composite video out? I think the question is, does it need to be encoded with a particular codec?

I myself have a Miro DC30 plus and on this card it seems I have to capture the video through the board in order for it to be output through the composite output. I think it's an issue with the codecs.

Thanks

despaxas
06-26-2001, 03:38 AM
yes, it will only playback MJPEG-A I believe. If the movies are relatively short (or if he has a large area of disk space and some patience) and Quicktime Pro, he can take the Quicktime movie sent to him, and export it to MJPEG-A so the card can use it. This may not be a usable solution because of the time it takes.

LMah
06-27-2001, 03:38 PM
Is MPEG-A a common codec? I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with this area. I don't know the conventions that are followed for creating Quicktime videos used on web sites, etc..

Thanks

Tylor
06-27-2001, 10:27 PM
MJPEG is a form of normal Photo-JPEG compression that can store video interlaced, which is what TVs use to prevent flickering. It is not an official codec like most others. More public domain and each company that uses it generally develops their own adaptation. Pinnacle has it's own for the miro cards.

The way cards like the DC30 work is they convert video into digital form, but they have special processors on the capture card that are designed to work with a specific codec. This allows great results when capturing and outputting with video in that codec, but any other codec won't gain anything from the card.

LMah: When you are capturing something that has fast movement, do the edges of things, or even the entire picture, seem to become interlaced for just a short moment? I have the original DC30, and I'm trying to find out if it's simply because it's an older card, or something in Pinnacle's card design. (Interlacing is basically where the odd numbered lines and even numbered lines are separated. Looks fine when displayed right, but if they're out of sync, it's sorta like having only half the picture)

LMah
06-28-2001, 10:42 AM
So MJPEG-A (as opposed to MJPEG) is not the "public domain" version? Is it a common codec, or more proprietary?

Tyler:
I don't really have that much experience digitizing video using this card. Most of my work is done with video tape or music only. I have never experienced what you have described though.

Thanks.

Tylor
06-28-2001, 12:59 PM
Now that I think about it, MJPEG itself is more a category of codecs, all of which are modified versions of the original JPEG compression scheme. MJPEG-A and MJPEG-B obviously have some difference between them, but I haven't ever noticed what it is, and I don't know which is more popular. Pinnacle uses MJPEG-A. They created 'miro MJPEG-A', which I believe is the same as MJPEG-A, but with extra code added that tells Premiere and other programs to use their video board to process the data.

That's the best I can do for describing things. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LMah
06-28-2001, 11:15 PM
Okay, thanks : )