PDA

View Full Version : Nexus in 9600

gt
06-07-2001, 05:30 PM
I just acquired a Nexus 128 32MB card that I'd like to use in a new (to me)
9600 / 200.

Will the ATI drivers in OS9.1 do the trick?

The fella that sold me the card burned the drivers that came with it for me.
A Better idea?

I'm hoping it will co-exist with the stock Apple Twin Turbo that came with the machine. I loaded 9.1 and that card worked fine with no fiddling.

Goal: two monitors.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Greg

jorge
06-07-2001, 07:22 PM
I don't know if the Apple ATI drivers will work. Just pull the ATI Universal installer off the ftp site or off versiontracker.

j

gt
06-07-2001, 07:58 PM
Thanx Jorge-
Being the stupid type,I just now went ahead and plugged the board in.
I haven't fooled with the extensions manager yet to pare it down so all the drivers,etc.are enabled. (I just started from scratch on this 9600 / 200.)

I did not down load the ati drivers sent with the card.

Lo, and behold, the card showed up in the sys profiler, the resolutions showed a capability of up to 1900 X something ( The machine is in the other room-it's a long walk). With an adapter plugged into the ixMicro card, two moniters showed up in the Monitors control panel-----All seems right with the world - So far so good? Don't futz with it unless something turns up?

magician
06-09-2001, 12:37 AM
hey, just go to the ATI site and download the latest drivers. We should have them mirrored on our FTP site, but there is no harm in doublechecking and going direct to the source. Our FTP site is intended to be a convenience, and a backup--not a replacement for the OEM site. As always, if you notice a more current version of some driver somewhere that we are missing, just upload it to the FTP site and we'll sort and file it.

The Nexus is a great board!

I would do this:

1. lock your OS9.1 set in Conflict Catcher, and use the Labels feature in the Finder Preferences to make your OS9.1 base install one color. That way, if the latest Uni installer (I believe you will end up using Radeon 1.1.1, but I am not certain) overwrites something, you will know.

2. install the ATI Uni install that is recommended on the ATI website for the Nexus.

3. check your extensions in ConflictCatcher and in the Finder, and see what is new or different, if anything. If you locked your previous set, the installer should not have overwritten anypre-existing files with newer versions or later versions.

the goal and intent here is to end up with the latest revisions, and avoid overwriting newer versions with older versions, ending up with mismatched drivers.

4. finally, install OpenGL 1.2.1. It also includes several ATI updates.

that should leave you with a good current set of drivers for the Nexus. If it doesn't feel wicked-fast in the Finder, something is wrong: 2D scrolling should be very nice and snappy.

hope this helps!

gt
06-09-2001, 02:57 AM
Sheeeeeit!, Magician-
You couldn't do that any better or more clearly.
I appreciate the heck out of it.
Greg

magician
06-09-2001, 10:11 PM
you are more than welcome.

I appreciate your graciousness. It made my day.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Louie
06-11-2001, 06:14 PM
Yes. OpenGL 1.2.1 package will drive the Nexus with all the latest ATI drivers and libraries.

macsheep
06-27-2001, 10:01 PM
Hey, is the Nexus a better board than the Radeon? I see people are paying as much for a Nexus as I paid for a new Radeon. At the same price, which would you prefer?

dragon_x
06-27-2001, 11:09 PM
The RADEON is faster in 3D. It may be faster in 2D. The RADEON has 32MB of PC166 DDR-RAM. The Nexus is a great 2D card but is exactly the same as the ATI RAGE128, except it has 32MB of RAM.

The PCI RADEON's 3D is limited by the PCI bus, though. The AGP RADEON is a bit faster for 3D... I have two Radeons. They play UT well http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/cool.gif

Dogstarman
06-27-2001, 11:31 PM
For the same money in a 9600? The Nexus. Older, more mature card with rock-solid drivers that loves to play along with other ATI card in the same machine. For the perceivable differences, it's not worth having the Radeon, IMHO. Maybe Radeon2 will iron out a lot of quirks, or maybe ATI's SW will catch up to where the HW is. But again...remember...that 32MB or more of VRAM is going to waste unless you really do extensive 3D work. A 16MB Rage128 in that machine will perform almost identically to a 32MB Rage128 for all you usual apps (web, 2D graphics, most games).

Dogstarman
06-27-2001, 11:35 PM
Oh yeah...paying the same $$ for an older (probably used) Nexus as you could get a Radeon for is moronic. Ebay seems to be teeming with idiots lately who love to spend more on used vid cards than they sold for new. I can't imagin paying up to $135 (then shipping) for a used Orion.

macsheep
06-28-2001, 10:08 AM
Are you saying I won't see any improvement in performance with the Radeon over the Nexus in Photoshop?

dragon_x
06-28-2001, 11:15 AM
Macs,

I would not think so. I'm not sure how large photoshop files run with current cards in 2D. Maybe?

The RADEON has a slight edge. You may want to check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

Mike has several tests showing 2D & 3D for the RADEON. Not sure if the Nexus 32MB is there, but I'm sure the 16MB Orion is.

FYI - 16MB of VRAM can run a display about 2000x2000x32bpp. Since most people dont run much over 1600x1200, you rarely use over 16MB. Of course your destop patter/picture is also stored and QT video (maybe other video) can cache in VRAM for better performance.

I think people might be paying crazy prices for the old ATI cards because they are in such short supply. Apple is even out of the PCI Orions, 'temporarily' and they normally charge $150 (maybe this includes an install fee?) anyway.

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

dragon_x
06-28-2001, 01:32 PM
O'yeah,

The RADEON is the BEST DVD player (decoder) out there right now, unless you have a dedicated hardware decoder (wired4dvd, OLD ATI RAGE128 with hardware decode). I think you can play DVD movies with the hacked Apple DVD player.

The drivers do need some work.

I tired to use the 9.1 drivers - BAD IDEA. Best to disable ALL ATI stuff, install the card, boot up, download the newest ATI drivers, install & restart and you should be fine.

GL

macsheep
06-28-2001, 07:25 PM
Didn't work. I had the 9600/350 working fine with an old Princeton monitor. Disabled all the ATI stuff. Replaced the 9600 OEM video card with the Radeon. Installed the latest ATI drivers (v 1.1.1 with Open GL included). 9600 still worked fine with the old Princeton Monitor. Then hooked up a brand new LaCie Electron 19 blue Montor. 9600 would no longer restart. Jerked out the damned Radeon, put in a new Orion. 9600 works fine.

That is the second 9600 I have tried Radeon in. Neither would restart with Radeon installed. Both went on to work fine with Orion. Didn't try the first one on an old monitor but it did not work with the new Mitsubishi Monitor I had it hooked up to. Curious thing, isn't it, the Radeon will not work with new monitors but will work with my old monitor?

I'm sticking with the Rage Orion until ATI get's it's act together. I've had it with Radeon's.