PDA

View Full Version : Something's going out: Monitor or Video Card?

vickishome
05-08-2001, 10:07 AM
My display is giving me signs that something's beginning to fail. The first question is whether the symptoms are those of a monitor or a video card.

Computer: G3 tower, rev 1 (M6459LL/A)
Monitor: AppleVision 750 (M5238LL/A)
Video Card: IXMicro Ultimate Rez (came with G3)

About a month ago, the display shifted to one side hiding part of my display beyond the boundaries of the monitor. I used the geometry setting to adjust it, but had to adjust it to one side as far as it would go to bring the display back into the parameters of the monitor.

Last night, after the screen saver was on for about an hour, the entire display was pulled to both sides, again going beyond the boundaries of my monitor. I used the geometry setting to pull in the sides of the display so the entire screen would fit my monitor once again.

A few hours ago, while working on a large file in Photoshop, I forgot to clear my clipboard before switching to the finder. Normally, Photoshop would pop up a window saying it was saving the clipboard file. Instead, the screen became erratic with distorted lines covering the entire display. A few seconds later, my monitor shut itself off. I had to reboot using my keyboard.

Can anyone tell if these symptoms would indicate that my monitor is going out or is it my video card (or anything else)?

Thank you! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Vicki

Michael
05-08-2001, 10:27 AM
up until your Pshop incident my feeling was that your monitor was having problems, but that incident sounds like it's your card. fundamentally a monitor is a receptor, that is it reflects the instructions and signals it gets. color, image ,screen stability are the things that usually indicate monitor problems. i could be wrong, but monitors don't usually shut themselves down umnless they've been physically overloaded.
anyway, there's an a easy way to find out. can you borrow another monitor froma a friend/store? plug it in and see if the problems persist. if not,then you know it's your monitor. if they do, then it's probably your card.
M

vickishome
05-08-2001, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have two other monitors, but they are both on PCs right now and I didn't know if they would work with the video driver I'm using. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try. I'll have to figure out some way of reproducing the problem since it's happening at random. Looks like I have a project for late tonight. Wish me luck!

magician
05-08-2001, 06:04 PM
another thing to try, vicki......since the bG3 has built-in video, just run your display off the built-in vid connector on the rear of the logic board, rather than the PCI card.

see what changes.

that will give you a major clue, without having to move displays around. Depending on what happens, you may then need to follow Michael's guidance, if only to confirm the findings.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

vickishome
05-08-2001, 06:43 PM
That's a great idea! I have to run out the door right now, but I will try it when I get back home. I have to do something and do it fast. Now the screen has pulled in at the top and is off the page at the bottom (I can't see the bottom scroll bar anymore, for example). Something is about to crash on me. Yikes!

Louie
05-08-2001, 07:43 PM
Magician's idea of running the monitor off the logic board video is good. It may have only 2 MB of VRAM if it hasn't been upgraded, so don't expect very high resolutions and color depth.

If you need to run a VGA monitor from the logic board or the Ultimate Rez, everything will work fine but you will need a good Mac-to-VGA adapter. Get A good one with dip switches such as the Mac PnP here http://www.griffintechnology.com/video/index.html .

I've wondered where you've been since last summer. I thought you were going to to some upgrading.

vickishome
05-08-2001, 08:31 PM
You remember me?! Wow, you have a good memory! I would love to do the upgrades, but I've been chasing after my two daughters so the computer has had to wait. Thanks for the info about the resolution. I'm about to give it a try now, and I'll lower the resolution before I shut down so I can hope to boot back up with no problems. I have to do something soon. I'm not too fond of this new "pyramid" style of screen I'm getting. Makes me wonder what geometric design it'll come up with next! LOL!

BTW, cross your fingers it's the monitor. I'd like one of those new thin LCD monitors. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Be back soon! I hope! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

vickishome
05-08-2001, 08:53 PM
Well, that was easy. It's the monitor! I have the exact same symptoms while plugged into the video from the motherboard.

Sooo... Any recommendations for a good monitor? I want a really nice LCD type of monitor. I'll easily spend $1,000, could go higher if it's worth it. I don't want one of the el cheapo monitors since I work with graphics. The brightness and clarity of the monitor is very important to me. It has to be a large screen, perhaps even one of those monitors that display two full pages at once? I haven't even looked at monitors in many years so I don't have a clue where to start. And by the looks of things, I'd better find one fast.

Also, what other changes will I need to do when I get a new monitor? Will I need to change my Ultimate Rez card? If so, what do you guys suggest? What about my OS? I want to stick with 8.1 for several reasons. Upgrading the OS will create a domino effect with many other things I'm running. I don't want to go there if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your help! You guys are the greatest! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Louie
05-08-2001, 09:15 PM
Vicki:

I have a memory like a Hawk.

Before you get carried away with LCD monitors ( which will require much study about video cards - not just performance, but connections and analog or digital outputs) read the latest MacWorld. They tested several LCD against several high end CRT monitors. The LCD's didn't do too well. You probably can read it on MacWold's site (June issue).

The Ultimate Rez is OK in 2D and weak in 3D. It can't do OpenGL at all. ixMicro is dead and the drivers don't like OS 9.x very much. You need a new card, but that's not easy. The state of Mac cards is bad right now. I'll let others expand.

Again, if you get a fancy LCD monitor, you need a card with matching output.

vickishome
05-08-2001, 10:18 PM
Grrrrrr! You know that's not what I wanted to hear! Okay, my main objective is a clear, bright screen. I like the small footprint of LCD monitors, but in the end, it's the picture that counts. So if I'm hearing you right, I should drop my dreams of LCD and focus on a good, standard monitor, right? If so, that's okay. I can live with that. Oh, and 2D is great; I'm not doing much with 3D anyway.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions on which direction to even start looking? What brands should I consider? What brands should I not bother with? Remember, I have those kids to chase after so my days of consuming reviews is gone for the time being. I need a good monitor. I have the money. I just don't know what to spend it on. Help! What a problem, right? LOL! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bottom line... what's the best monitor I can get in the price range I'm willing to spend?

Louie
05-09-2001, 01:38 AM
Vickie:

Read the article. This comparison was for all-out pro multimedia work. The LCD's are pretty, space-saving and expensive, but they are not the best for picture quality.

You will get almost as many answers about which monitor to buy as the number of models made. It's good to go to a store that has them lined up for comparison and eyeball them. Read some reviews.

I bought a professional series ViewSonic PF790, 19" with a flat screen a few months ago that has a great picture. The other guys should chime in tomorrow.

If you continue to use the Ultimate Rez you will need a Mac-to-VGA adapter since no monitors use the old Mac DB-15 connector any more.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 09 May 2001).]

ChrisYip
05-09-2001, 07:38 AM
I'll echo the comments of Louie.. I've replaced a number of NEC monitors in our lab w/ ViewSonics and they are very , very nice - we're using 17" (space limitations since most of our machines are dual monitor)

I scan http://www.cnet.com to get info on various components but the eyeball test is the way to go when it comes down to putting down the plastic.

Chris

vickishome
05-09-2001, 07:52 AM
I have a 17" ViewSonic PT775 sitting on another computer, but I wasn't not as impressed with it as I had hoped. But I think the problem is that it's running off of a cheap video card (don't ask why). If my memory hasn't failed me yet, I think I have an adapter somewhere around here that will allow me to run it off of the Mac. If I can find it, I'll try plugging in the ViewSonic to see how it looks with the Ultimate Rez card I'm using now.

I tried to look at monitors last night, but the only store that's close to me is (shudder) CompUSA, and they somehow managed to have all of their monitors turned off. When I tried to get someone to help, it became all too clear that they knew less about monitors than I do. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

In the meantime, I have discovered that my monitor-turning-into-a-doorstop is being affected by the screensaver (Mac's "dim") so I have turned it off. Using the geometry settings, I have a decent display right now. I hope it will buy me a little extra time until I can get it replaced.

If all else fails, I do have an old monitor that I used with my Mac II (one of the original Mac II's that were made). Think that will work? LOL! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

P.S.... Chris, which ViewSonic monitors are you using that you like?

[This message has been edited by vickishome (edited 09 May 2001).]

ChrisYip
05-09-2001, 11:05 AM
Hi there...

We have
(1) GS771
(2) PS775
(3) PF77

The PF77 is a nice monitor - has the DVI connections too and makes our Dell / Sony monitors look ugly.. The GS771 is a nice one too - seems brighter than our Studio Display monitor.

Chris

ChrisYip
05-09-2001, 11:07 AM
I have one of Apple's Portrait greyscale monitors still running on my 7300 ASIP server...

Louie
05-09-2001, 03:04 PM
The "PF" is the Professional Series and may also mean Perfectly Flat technology.

Vickie: I hate to say it but the Ultimate Rez is something of a funky card also.

CompUSA, Best Buy, etc. use shoe salesmen. They also hook up all those monitors to one PeeCee with a crappy video card and show a very small picture, which is not a great eyeball test.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 09 May 2001).]

vickishome
05-09-2001, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the info! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MacWorld does not have their June issue online and one of my daughters is home sick so I'll have to get a copy some other day (although I'm already convinced against the LCD monitors now - see how easy I am to convince? LOL!).

I'm trying to look at the info on the ViewSonic website, but my daughter can call for me faster than their website can draw a page (slow, slow website - shame on ViewSonic!). And I find myself once again completely ignorant to what most of the specs are trying to say so I can't make an intelligent decision. My head is in the spinning mode. Strill trying between thermometer breaks. I have always liked the flat screen even before it was "cool" (old Zenith monitor) so that might help narrow down the field.

I'm trying to find online reviews of the ViewSonic monitors, but no luck yet. I'll get there. It just takes time.

I'd be more than happy to replace my Ultimate Rez card - but with what? Same song, second verse. If I don't know diddly about monitors, that applies twicefold about video cards. More to learn.

But there is good news in all of this. My monitor has been stable for 12 hours now since I've turned off the "dim" screen saver. That seemed to have affected the monitor. I'm hoping (knocking on lots of wood) it is buying me some time to learn what I need to know to get a good monitor to replace it.

Back to the ViewSonic site... and to get Advil. And to feed the little one who's sick. <sigh> http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dick Brillo
05-09-2001, 04:11 PM
Vicki,

I have bought 7 moniters at work over the years, and I still go back to Sony. I LOVE them. They last a long time too. We have two that are 6/7 years old and still going strong. The last batch I bought where Multiscan 200 ES and GS. Beautiful color. I have a 19" at home 3 years old, with no problems. I recently got a old 21" radius moniter for free and the Sony beats it hands down. Not a fair test though, the radius is old. The other moniters I bought were MAG Innovision DX17's. They were rated very well at the time, but both broke and got shaky around the same time, in something like 3 years. The color was horrible right out of the box, compared to the Sony. After that, I stuck with Sony.

So, I don't know about the new moniters...

Sony just looks cool too...

Hope it helps,
Jesse

Louie
05-09-2001, 04:13 PM
Vickie:

Check Chris's link below for reviews and all sorts of info. Here's a link from that link that shows current monitor sales leaders http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/0-8398-310-0-25.html?tag=st.cn.1427343.subnav.8398-310-0-25 .

The state of the Mac video card market is terrible right now. I would suggest that you look for a used ATI Orion, Nexus or VR. These cards run the latest OpenGL software and will do it with your OS 8.1.

vickishome
05-09-2001, 04:44 PM
Thanks again! I was going through the C/Net info when it hit me that I know what my problem is. First, I have to actually look at the monitors with my own eyes. I had hoped to do it today, but my plans were changed when my daughter woke up sick. But the other thing I need is to learn WHAT all of the specs mean. I used to know years ago when I was shopping for monitors. I look at the specs, and they are meaningless to me. They might as well be written in another language for all the good they're doing me right now. This is why I think the information isn't helping me with a decision. I don't understand the information! I have to go back to square one and try to learn all of this all over again.

Jesse, Sony has been one of my favorites for a long time. I will certainly look at them. I think monitors are a personal choice. I need to find what fits my eyes.

Louie, about the video card. Do I need a new video card? If so, is it because the Ultimate Rez won't run a new monitor or because the image quality would be improved with one of the other cards? Or is it a driver issue?

vickishome
05-09-2001, 05:27 PM
Here's some great info about monitors! This is exactly what I need.

http://www.csf.org.uk/csf/campaigns/monitors-matter/code/mmintr.htm

Now this is beginning to get fun! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I think I just read something that explains what's happening to my monitor and why the "dim" screen saver seemed to affect it. I think my monitor's power regulator is going bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>From the website above:
While all these kinds of distortion can affect static images, some screens can suffer from problems caused by poor power supply regulation. When the screen, or a significant proportion of it, changes brightness level, the load on the monitor power supply changes. Because the scan coils depend on the power supply, the picture shape can change if the power supply is not well enough regulated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too bad I can't just get that one part repaired. I'd be back to normal then.

[This message has been edited by vickishome (edited 09 May 2001).]

Louie
05-09-2001, 08:32 PM
Vickie:

You can probably do without a modern video card. The Ultimate Rez was something of a milestone in the decline and bankruptcy of ixMicro. It's predecessor, the Twin Turbo, was and still is an excellent 2D card. The UR uses the same TT128 chip, but the drivers were never great and they added some early 3D RAVE capibility. Since the company was failing, the drivers were never improved very much and you will definitely have problems if you ever upgrade to OS 9.x

Also, since you will need an Mac-to-VGA adapter, that will cause a slight signal loss.

I'm sure an Orion or Nexus will give you a better picture, faster 2D screen draws, scrolling, QuickTime support, RAVE and OpenGL. But give the UR a try with a new monitor. If you are dissatisfied, get another card. Too bad you can't borrow one for comparison.

The last ix3D drivers are on our FTP site ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/ixmicro_stuff/ .

vickishome
05-09-2001, 10:58 PM
Louie, I'm real easy to convince. If there's another card out there than can improve my video display, then I'm all for it. So where do I get one of those cards? Do you guys sell them? Do you recommend one over the other?

Louie
05-10-2001, 01:06 AM
You could get one of these expensive German jobs http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mgvideoadapters7.html or-

You could go on eBay and hunt for an ATI 128 card; Orion, Nexus or 128VR. (about $100).

vickishome
05-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Hey, I can do German! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif As soon as I pick out a new monitor, I'll see about getting one of the cards from you guys. I tried to look at monitors yesterday, but all I could find were the average consumer monitors. Nobody had any of the nicer monitors to look at. So I'll have to go off of specs and hope to find reviews of the particular models I'm interested in.

For now (I keep knocking on wood), disabling the "dim" screen saver seems to have helped stabilize things. The display has not changed in the last 36 hours. It's still not a normal display, but I have compensated for the problems using the geometry settings so the display is functional at the moment. I'm hoping it will hold out long enough for me to get the replacement monitor and card.

magician
05-11-2001, 09:15 PM
well, I may as well kick in my two cents.

I've got a lot of displays here: HP's, Sony, Apple, Hitachi, NEC, IBM, you name it.

my faves are the Hitachi, then the Apple and Sony. For me, it's not just a matter of crispness and refresh (though those are critical, considering the hours i spend in front of displays). Brightness is huge. And for me, for my taste, Hitachis are the brightest danged displays i have ever used, and that's why i prefer them. I think the Hitachi 19-incher may be the best analog display ever built.

you should certainly try to compare as many side-by-side as possible, however.....remembering that the yahoos who set them up probably just hooked up cables and then moved on to sell a hundred dollar PC scanner.

you will need to mess around with the ColorSync profiles and work with the displays a little bit to really get a feel for what you prefer.

it's pretty amazing that literally no place in the civilized world specializes in just displays. Considering how much time we all spend in front of them, you would think that someone would throw expertise and due consideration at the issue.

oh, well.

vickishome
05-11-2001, 11:14 PM
I must say, brightness is a major factor for me as well. That's the thing I was disappointed with on the ViewSonic PT775. I paid quite a price on that monitor, but it didn't look as good to me as the AppleVision that's going out on me now. But to be fair, it could be the video card's fault.

I want to see these monitors in person, but I can't find them anywhere which is very frustrating. If I could just see the displays, I would know which one I want.

I have never looked at the Hitachis. I have liked my Apple monitors and I also favor Sonys too. So many choices, so little information. And too much hype from the manufacturers. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Louie
05-11-2001, 11:51 PM
Aren't you in SE Texas, near Houston. Try something like a Best Buy store if they have them. They usually have lots of monitors set up. Their salespeople are a half click above CompUSA (they can tie their shoes).

vickishome
05-11-2001, 11:56 PM
Dang, you have a good memory!! Yes, I'm within rock throwing distance to Houston. I'll give Best Buy a try. It certainly can't hurt. And it's certainly much better than sitting here whining about not knowing which monitor to buy! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
05-12-2001, 12:08 AM
I'm a Texan too. That's why I remember.

vickishome
05-12-2001, 12:14 AM
So what's my excuse for not remembering that you're a Texan, eh? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Looking at the Sony website right now. I remember hearing somewhere that Sony made the Apple monitors. Is that true?

Louie
05-13-2001, 04:11 PM
Several companies license the Sony tube. I don't know who makes Apple's monitors these days.

MacMikester
05-13-2001, 04:42 PM
I've always thought that the more recent Apple CRT monitor specs looked pretty much like the Mitsubishi diamondtron monitors, same for the the LaCie models.

vickishome
05-15-2001, 10:38 AM
The display continues to be holding stable since I turned the "dim" feature off. I'm going to get horrible burn in very soon, but since this monitor is becoming doorstop anyway, I figured it wouldn't matter. At least I still have a display so I can shop for a new monitor more carefully.

I looked at the Hitachis, but most of their CRTs were shadow mask, and I tend to prefer aperture grille. The lone aperture grille CRT I looked at was not the quality of monitor I'm wanting. So Hitachi got scratched off my list.

I tried my best to look through the ViewSonic website, but it loads so slowly, it's unbearable. I sometimes have to wait 5 minutes just for one page to come up. Their specs don't seem to help much either as many of their monitors seem to have very similar specs, and I can't find reviews on several of their different models. My head is still swimming in confusion with the ViewSonic monitors. I haven't crossed them out, but I haven't zero'd in on any particular ViewSonic models either. I may give them a phone call to see what they suggest.

I found a Sony monitor I'm interested in. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I think the model number is CPD-G400. The reviews consistantly rave about the clear, bright display. They don't like the control panel, but I can live with it if I must. At this time, it seems to be my preference.

Does anyone know of a reason why I should NOT get the Sony? Will the German video cards Louie recommended work with it?

As always, thank you! And a special thank you to Louie who has been very quick to help with all of my threads! It is very much appreciated. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Louie
05-15-2001, 07:48 PM
The ViewSonic AG models are all in the Professional Series; PF77, PF790, P95F and P220F.

Never owned a Sony.

vickishome
06-21-2001, 01:30 AM
I'm dragging this thread back up because I'm ready to buy a video card. In this thread, two were recommended (I think German made ones?).

Tell me which of the two is the best and where to pay my money. I'm ready to buy one now.

Thanks! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Louie
06-21-2001, 12:06 PM
You need Kaye's attention. He has one of those two cards. Double check the driver's OS requirements, since I know that you are still using 8.1.

magician
06-21-2001, 01:17 PM
i just updated the Formac page on our site with current pricing and availability, and updated K as well with some good insider scoopage. He should be along shortly.

vickishome
06-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Thanks, gurus! Normally, I would do my own research and make my own conclusions, but (1) I trust you guys (2) it's time I become a paying customer and (3) I don't have/choose to not spend the time.

My monitor breathed its last breath about a month ago when we experienced a power outage that included *5* hard power surges (came up, down, up, down). It was just past midnight, and I couldn't see in the darkness to pull the plug fast enough. My monitor died on the spot. I'm using the ViewSonic FT775 from my kids' computer. I still haven't figured out which monitor I want as my replacement. D@mn Sony has problems with their trinitrons failing after a year, not to mention the geometry issues. Grumble, grumble!

Regarding the video card. I would prefer overkill than underkill. Money is not a problem. I work with graphics with Photoshop. And I just like good equipment.

Therefore, if K could point me to the best of the best, I'll place my order pronto. All I ask is that it be compatible with my system/computer.

Dontcha wish everyone would buy so easily? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kaye
06-21-2001, 03:10 PM
The Formac ProFormance3+ line is here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mgvideoadapters7.html

That said, my ProFormance3+ 32MB card is no longer available. It and the PF3+ 16MB works with OS7.6.1, 8.6, 9.0.4, and 9.1 that I have tried. The Radeon PCI is only OS9 and later compatible. I would wait until after Macworld NY which ends July 20th. Magician should know more from Formac when he meets with them at the Expo. A limited number of the PF3+ 16MB boards remain available but I would still wait. Magician intends to revise the entire range of video pages once the definitive info is available.

Hope this helps. Be patient. k

vickishome
06-21-2001, 06:35 PM
Thanks, Kaye. May I ask what benefits there might be to waiting?

I would prefer to not wait. I need a card now. I'm running with a mismatch between my IX Micro card, the monitor, and the lack of proper drivers.

Is there a possibility that the PF3+ 16MB card will no longer be supported with new drivers? Or does it perform poorly, and so I should wait for a better performing card?

I'll only wait if there is a reason why the PF3+ 16MB will not perform well or will not be supported (leaving me in the same position I'm currently in with the ix micro card).

Keep in mind I'm running OS 8.1 with no intentions on upgrading any time soon (upgrading will require several other upgrades to my software and hardware). By the time I finally do upgrade, I'll either get a new Mac or overhaul this one completely.

I appreciate your help. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Edited to add: I just checked, and the IX Micro Ultimate Rez card I'm using right now is only 8MB. 16MB should fulfill my needs, dontcha think? I'd like the best, but I don't want to wait either.

[This message has been edited by vickishome (edited 21 June 2001).]

kaye
06-22-2001, 12:14 PM
OK,

Then I would get the PF3+ 16MB card or look for the 32MB card on eBay. I thought about recommending the V5 (Voodoo 5 5500 PCI) card but it lists OS8.5 as minimum, though it runs on OS8.0 in my S900. Not sure why, may have to crank up my S900 to see what is going on there. I tested the V5 with OS8.6 in my S900 here http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000015/HTML/20010513-11-000014.html and scroll to the bottom of the page. But there may never be any further software updates since the company was bought out by nVidea.

Be careful about which Formac and I'm not sure why magician does not show which. There is an older ProFormance 16MB and a ProFormance3+ 16MB. The differences are here http://www.formac.com/2k/products/product_frame.html and scroll to the bottom of the page and under ProFormance3+ click GET INFO. I think I would email magician to be sure it is a plus/+ version of the 16MB card.

Waiting? Perhaps new cards, perhaps no cards but with support for awhile. No telling. It will blow away your UltRes card. It's just not as fast as the PF3+ 32MB. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 22 June 2001).]

vickishome
06-22-2001, 04:29 PM
Can someone tell me or point me to a website that can tell me exactly what performance difference I would receive between the 16MB and 32MB card taking into consideration the software I use on my Mac?

As it is now, the graphics I work with on Photoshop are usually 10MB or smaller. I have not seen any problems with the display of the graphics. It's usually instantaneous even with my current 8MB card.

However, sometimes I do digital video editing. I do see problems in which the movies cannot play back on the computer correctly. When using MoviePlayer, the movies jump and hop. When I'm editing video, I usually hook it all up to a portable TV which displays the movies perfectly. Will the 32MB make a difference while editing video or playing movies on my computer using MoviePlayer? Or would I see the same performance with the 16MB card?

I never use my Mac to play games (well, a little solitaire, but I think any video card would handle that http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

Here's the thing - I have found the 32MB card elsewhere, but I really wanted to be a paying customer here. It's a hard decision. If the gurus had the 32MB card, I'd jump at it. So I'm wanting to double check to be sure that I have a real need for the 32MB card. If the 16MB card will perform equally as well using Photoshop, MoviePlayer and editing videos, then I'll buy it from the gurus. But if there is a real difference, then I'll have to wait until I upgrade my Mac to become a paying customer here.

Gurus... I sure wish you had that 32MB card in stock! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

kaye
06-22-2001, 06:11 PM
I can point you to a test of the ProFormance3 16MB card (not the plus 16MB model) here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/Proformance3/index.html and it goes on for seven pages. For the test he used 0MB and 1MB Font Cache but the card can use 4MB Font Cache which is what I use. Why cripple the card? Because he received complaints from other manufacturers that don't have the feature on their cards. Sour grapes. Use the Font Cache to its fullest.

Macworld in a recent article tested the ProFormance3+ 16MB card as a comparison to other very recent video cards here http://www.macworld.com/2001/03/reviews/graphics.html but I have never seen a test of the 32MB version. k

vickishome
06-23-2001, 05:05 PM
I may have figured out a way to use the ix micro card. It turns out I've been chasing 3 completely separate display problems. Sorting them all out has not been fun. It happened when I rejoined a board I used to frequent (not this one) that changed to OpenTalk while I was absent - plus - my monitor died. All of the problems appeared at the same basic time so I expected they were connected. Not.

Problem 1 was caused by the character set the board was using (discovered in another thread on MacGurus). Netscape 4.76 is not compatible with unicode. The other board changed their character set at my request which fixed the majority of the problems I was experiencing.

Problem 2 appears to be something else on that board that is giving Netscape fits. If I visit the board, certain websites do what I call an "automatic-immediate-reload". As soon as the page downloads, it immediately reloads on its own. This causes error messages on websites such as www.networksolutions.com (http://www.networksolutions.com) (I couldn't use their whois anymore because of the reloads). This problem goes away UNTIL I visit the other board. I haven't figured out what configuration they're using that is causing this problem, but at least I have isolated the source now.

Problem 3 was my computer. When my monitor went out, I switched to a ViewSonic I was using on another computer. On the back of my ix micro card are two different connectors. One is a standard Mac video connector and the other is a PC type of connector. When I switched to the ViewSonic, I plugged it into the pc-type connector on the card thinking it had a built in adaper of sorts. However, a few characters would not display correctly. While testing out a few things, I decided to plug the monitor into the built-in video on my Mac. Of course, that meant I had to fish out the ViewSonic/Mac adapter. The characters suddenly started displaying correctly (albeit very slowly). So I decided to try connecting the monitor on the ix micro using the standard Mac video connector and the adapter. Well, guess what. It worked!

I don't know what that second connector is for on my ix micro card since I did not receive documentation from Apple on the card, and the card is so old that I can't find technical info on the internet for it (and, of course, ix micro is defunct now). I don't know why switching to the Mac connector with the adapter fixed my problems, but I'm so tired that I don't care anymore. If it works, it works.

I'll know better after I use this setup for a few days, but it sure looks good now. I am hoping this will be the end of a long effort to chase down the display problems I was having. Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to just using my Mac again and not having to troubleshoot it anymore.

I apologize to those who offered their help only to find out that it wasn't needed (such as info on video cards when it appears I don't need one now). I have never ran into such a screwy set of display problems before (and hope I never do again). I very much appreciate all of the help the gurus and others have offered. I'm posting the problems and solutions in this message on the outside chance someone else finds themselves trying to fix similar problems and will find this information helpful.

Now just cross your fingers I don't run into any other display problems for awhile. Troubleshooting is NOT fun!