PDA

View Full Version : Why does VGA LCD Studio Display work on Pismo but not on PM7500 internal vid?

ricercar
06-21-2001, 01:22 AM
Hey!

I just brought home an Apple VGA 15" LCD Studio Display, but it appears to operate only with my Pismo and Thinkpad and Wintel machines, not on the 7500 internal video (4MB) which I bought it for.

The LCD came with no manual (or bad pixels! :-) .I know the VGA Studio Displays are stated by Apple to be incompatible with the PowerBook 5300 and 3400, but I was hoping someone might know what is the exact technicality involved? I have an ATI Xclaim GA coming back from a loan next week, but I'm worried that a 1995 video card will have the same issue.

Can someone please sell me a vowel?

------------------
ricercar

my free 7500 is nickel-and-diming me to death.

ChrisYip
06-21-2001, 06:54 AM
Hmmm - might be that you need an adapter for your 7500's video... I know I needed one when I hook up SONY/ NEC monitors to my 7300's - different connector (DB15)

The PISMO have a std VGA out.

You might be good with the Xclaim GA if it has a standard VGA out (which I think it does when I just looked at ATI's site)

Just a thought

Chris

ricercar
06-21-2001, 07:12 AM
I have a Mac15 to VGA adapter in place which works for my other CRT monitors. While the adapter is a possible issue, I'm not of the belief my adapter is the problem. I've used two CRTs successfully on the 7500+adapter, but the LCD doesn't acquire a sync signal.

------------------
ricercar

ChrisYip
06-21-2001, 08:11 AM
Hmmm - that's interesting.. Let me know what you figure out - FutureShop up here has the 1530V Nec 15" LCD's on sale at $699 (after mail-in rebate).. and I'm tempted to pick up one (or several) for the lab.

Chris

ricercar
06-21-2001, 04:32 PM
I'm a big fan of LCDs. My eyes are sensitive to large screen CRT flicker, and my ears to the whine of CRTs (admittedly, a larger problem for TVs, not computers). The major drawback of LCDs seems to be color matching, and my amateur photography and web graphics aren't that critical such that I've noticed.

If you're considering 15" LCDs you may find a $500 digital display with a $150 adapter may be more practical than a $700 display when you eyeball the future. I have heard good things about the adapters, while prices are apparently not coming down on VGA LCDs.

------------------
ricercar