PDA

View Full Version : Funky monitor problems

ChrisYip
06-14-2001, 07:34 PM
O.K. - this might involve a monitor upgrade hence the posting here...

Situation

Viewsonic PF77 monitor - running on a VR128 card on a G4 - Apple Studio monitor on the stock video card

The PF77 has developed this sort of dark diffuse areas in the middle of the screen. I swapped it with the other video card - no effect; Swapped to another computer - same problem; Swapped a 15" monitor onto the VR128 - no problems..

So - looks to me like my monitor is dying.. (BTW - I did degauss it...)

arghhhh -

Chris

Louie
06-14-2001, 09:22 PM
Chris, my PF790 has purity adjustments for four corners and top to bottom. Do you have that to try?

ChrisYip
06-14-2001, 09:30 PM
Hi Louie

Yup - went through the OSD menu and found purity. I sort of ran through it and it didn't seem to make a difference. I just noticed it today - maybe it's my eyeballs but my students didn't seem to notice it but then again, it is the second monitor.

I'll give it another shot - if I slap the monitor on the side (well, gently), the dark areas wiggle.. if I do this to my Studio monitor, nothing happens.

Very annoying.. I can swap in a Nec 15XV+ if necessary but it's not that bright...

Chris.

magician
06-15-2001, 03:32 AM
i forget ....what are those things used to degauss the surface of a display? You may just need to run a magnet over the screen.....but I hesitate to recommend it....for all I know, it could REALLY bitch things up.

when I was a technician, a real technician, many years ago, we had these magnetic devices that we would simply run over the surface of displays to "even out" blotches and dark spots. This may have predated auto degaussing included with displays....it was a long time ago, and you all know how much i have forgotten.

ChrisYip
06-15-2001, 07:33 AM
I wonder if someone in my lab did one of those "wave a screwdriver at the monitor" actions.

Degaussed it a bunch of times today... I'll see - it still works so not a big problem...

Chris

IronMac
06-16-2001, 05:37 AM
I would NOT wave a magnet over any monitor. One of the bright boys at the place I used to work did that with a magnet the size of a small brick...the metal wires within the monitor went -----> that way...we think they did at least, because the whole picture got really distorted.

Luckily for him, the problem corrected itself somehow overnight. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

He did this despite being told not to do it! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

magician
06-18-2001, 02:07 PM
I agree.

it has to be pretty much a "hail-mary" kinda maneuver.