PDA

View Full Version : Radius monitor (pivot)

levelbest
06-06-2001, 10:00 PM
Hello,
I just picked up a pivot monitor at my Mac clubs semi annual garage sale. Really cheap ($5.00). If it absolutely won't work, no real harm done. So the question is, how or where can I find a card that will drive the thing?

Make: Radius
Style: 17" Pivot
Model: Color Pivot LE

Installing it in a 7600 PowerMac. Currently with 4 megs of VRAM and a no name video card (also from the garage sale - suspect it's an IX Micro). Which means that, if I had to use a card - I could, assuming I can find one.

And what about drivers? The monitor does work in landscape. Well, it sort of works. The picture goes beyond the screen size. I think they had a special picture resolution for those monitors.

Someone told me of a site where you could get drivers for Radius's old stuff. Any help finding it? Or other suggestions? It really is a cool idea having the upright page and a swivel for wide pages.

Thanks
lb

ChrisYip
06-06-2001, 10:15 PM
Ummm - found this: http://www.radiusvintage.com/software.tmpl

But it looks pricey considering how much you got the monitor for...

ChrisYip
06-06-2001, 10:17 PM
Here's another link: http://www.portrait.com/

rebecca
06-06-2001, 11:25 PM
Very interesting... I have almost the same situation as yours. I have an old Pivot LE that I used with my IIci that is now headed for the local landfill. I just installed an ATI Rage Orion 128 video card in my 7600 to use with my Sony Multiscan 17seII. So, Im thinking, maybe I can use the Pivot as a second monitor with my onboard video?

Anyway, I contacted both sites that Chris Yip mentioned, and sent an e-mail to technical support at the Portrait Display site, which sells software, asking if the software would work with my LE. ABSOLUTELY NOT! Is not compatible. What about just plugging in the monitor without the software - NOPE, will not work. So now Im thinking I will just plug it in and see what happens (actually this suggestion was made by Louie).

I haven't plugged mine in yet to test it, but Im anxious to know if you have done it? It sounds like from your description of the screen that you have.

Bottom line - don't buy the software. Its not compatible. Also there are no cards compatible either, at least not according to the Radius info I got.

Please e-mail me along with posting if you find a solution.

Rebecca

levelbest
06-07-2001, 05:42 AM
Well...
First, Yes I tried it, both from my no name card and from the on board (4 megs of VRAM). I had to change the refresh rate (I think 75, it's on 66 now and I only have 2 settings)

Several people have told me that those monitors do work, but only in landscape mode. Unfortunately, what a member at the Mac club told me, was they also have their own unique screen size. Not 640 by 480, but something odd, made up by them (Radius).

And sure enough, mine "worked" in landscape, but the menu bar was so high it was not visible. Not useful that way.

And second, I had already found both of those links through searching on Google. Thanks anyway for suggesting them. Another guy at the Mac club told me there was a site - I can't remember the darn name. It was something like, portraitmonitors.com. He said that was the company that currently owned the rights to the monitors they bought from Radius and that you could get old drivers from their site.

So, I am definitely open to hearing more about the detective work of others. Thanks.
lb

levelbest
06-07-2001, 06:22 AM
A quick progress report and I am off to work. I found s neat Mac site with lots of links.
http://w3.trib.com/~dwood/oldmac.html

Searching for drivers for radius monitors on that site, I found

Radius SoftPivot 3.2.1, extension & control panel, also Dynamic Desktop 3.3.
.......SoftPivot 3.2.1

The second link ".......SoftPivot 3.2.1"downloaded the softpivot extension and control panel. The first link "SoftPivot 3.2.1," was found dead.

I don't have time now to see what I got but, the quest continues.

lb

levelbest
06-07-2001, 07:02 AM
OK,
I am dominating my own post here but, here is an additional piece. I tried the radius soft pivot download that I mentioned in my last post (I have a rain day as it turns out so, there is more time to experiment)

Unfortunately, after putting the driver in the extensions folder and the control panel in the control panels folder and opening the control panel (after restart) it says it can't work in my machine.

The read moi file says that it was designed in the days of 7.5. (Power mac 7600) I am running 8.6

Back to the drawing boards.

lb

rebecca
06-08-2001, 12:56 AM
Keep posting about your progress. I wish I could be more help, but mine is still upstairs and I dont have any room on my desk to try it right now, so it remains a distance fantasy to get it running.

I am not encouraged by your description of what the screen displays without any card or software. Unless we can find someone who has successfully integrated this model into the 7600, things don't look too promising.

Hope you find the answer out there somewhere.

levelbest
06-08-2001, 05:18 AM
OK,
I lost focus with this thread for a while. I was getting resolution for my 9600 video card and graphics extension (see thread: "Video drivers for mystery card ", this forum).

Now that I have a working graphics card I will focus back on the monitor thing. First thing is to identify what card or cards are on the market.

Next thing is to find what modifications have been done by others to make it work (workarounds)

Final thing is to GET ONE.

Although, now that I see how wonderful it is to have even a cheap video card installed, and, having just 2 more pci slots on my 7600, I will most likely "eventually" scrap getting a card for the pivot to get usb/firewire and either the fast scci or an ide card.

the 64 dollar question is, does anyone make a card for this machine? The guy I got the Pivot monitor from also had a card for it - for nubus only. So I passed on it. I hope that decision wasn't foolish of me.

The hunt continues.

lb

magician
06-09-2001, 12:24 AM
if you are asking whether there are video cards for the 7600, the answer is yes. There are currently two--yes two--PCI video cards available for the Mac. This will probably change by the time MacWorld passes.

BMonk
06-09-2001, 12:34 AM
>>And sure enough, mine "worked" in landscape, but the menu bar was >>so high it was not visible. Not useful that way.

It's possible the menu bar was off screen because the monitor's calibration has gone off spec. Every Radius monitor I ever dealt with quickly required fiddling with the (internal) controls as the image either started drifting off screen or else got darker and darker until it became unreadable.

I've got a grayscale Pivot w/NuBus card which I friend has been using for several years. She finally gave it back because nowadays, when it warms up, the screen image drifts up until the menubar is invisible, though if you reach up there and pull one down, the tail end drops down.

Also developed an interesting glitch where the image becomes progressible more squashed the lower it is. The Trash looks like a trash can lid, but the higher you move it, the more normal0looking it becomes.
The thing can probably be fixed, but it's hard to get very excited....

Anyway, Griffin makes an adapter that will let the Color Pivot LE work with current video cards. They don't make one for my old grayscale unit or I might try to resurrect it. Search for Pivot in their database here: http://www.griffintechnology.com/monitor.html

Finally, about software. You don't have to have it. It allowed live pivioting without a restart, but without the software, you just have to orient the thing the way you want, then boot, then don't pivot until the next restart.

There's a mercury switch inside that swaps wires (or whatever has to be done) so that the computer sees the monitor as either portrait or landscape at boot time. Since that's mechanical it works even without the Radiusware extension, which as far as I know hasn't worked since OS 7.5 or maybe even earlier.

Louie
06-11-2001, 06:28 PM
Great info, BMonk! Thanks.

radius
04-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi guys,

Is anyone willing to part ways with the Radius Pivot monitor they have? I've been looking around for the monitor and haven't been able to find it being sold.

Thanks!