PDA

View Full Version : Igniter card vs DV

ryabovsky
06-01-2001, 12:43 PM
I own a DV system that consists of 3 computers (G4 733 Sawtooth, 512 MB RAM, 60 Gig HD @ 7200 RPM; G4 400 Yikes, 256 MB RAM, 10 gig HD @ 5400 RPM & 20 Gig HD @ 7200 RPM, and one external Maxtor 80 gig Firewire HD @ 5400 RPM; and a G3 466 Ibook, 192 MB RAM, 10 Gig HD @ 5400 RPM ) I also have a Sony DVMC-DA2 for inputting and outputting VHS. I recently bought a Panasonic AG-DV2000 to use as a DV deck as I had been using my Canon Xl 1 camera up to this point. I run Final Cut Pro 1.2.5, I bought 2.0 but haven't installed it yet. I use After Effects 4.1 and a couple 3d programs (Cinema 4D GO and Amorphium) for compositing and effects. I am noticing that when I composite in Final Cut Pro I often get digital artifacts (primarily jagged edges). This problem worsens when I try to work with the DV codec that After Effects uses, especially if I bring in DV footage that was captured/compositied in FCP. After asking some pretty knowledgable people we figured it must be the DV Codecs. So I am thinking of upgrading the 733 with an Igniter base card and SCSI RAID. However, there are a couple of issues. My deck has firewire, BNC, RCA and S-video I/O so it will be able to work directly with the card using RCA or S video. My thought is that I would get better quality video coming in if I was able to capture using firewire and then decompress it in FCP with a render using the lower compression rate (1.5:1) that the Igniter offers. Otherwise I would bring it in on the Igniter using S video, which will suffer some loss won't it? Is this possible? Would it be better? This is a costly upgrade and I want to be sure it will work. I would still want to use firewire for straight cutting because it would be lossless. I would only use this set up for compositing and effects

magician
06-01-2001, 03:56 PM
uh....pretty much outa my area of expertise.

Jorge, you got some input for him?

anyone?

MacMikester
06-02-2001, 12:51 AM
I'm not a pro or even an amateur, but here's what I think I understand. If you have the subsystem and CPU power to capture, playback and edit a non-DV format like raw analog video or the Igniter's 1.5:1 compression format (?MJPEG), your result will be superior to using the DV format. DV is a 5:1 compression format and it is lossy. The attraction of DV is that the capture device does the conversion so transfer speed to storage is fast and not subsystem or CPU-intensive. Editing and and playback are faster and less CPU-intensive as well. In other words, the hardware requirements for DV are much less demanding. Using S-Video gives outstanding results, as far as I know.

Regards

jorge
06-02-2001, 01:29 PM
The Igniter drivers are high quality and high speed. Makes sense since the card is doing the converting and capturing and not the onboard firewire. One more thing, the Quicktime DV codec is sloppy.

I would shoot them an email and ask the question. They will give you in great detail what the story is.

One comparision, a DV stream is 3.6 MB a sec. The Igniter stream is 13.3 MB a sec.

My boss has Sony TRV 900 and I hopefully will do a comparision between the built in firewire and the Igniter board. When, who knows. That is on my to do list and need to get my OS X certifications as well as my Cisco certification.

j

[This message has been edited by jorge (edited 02 June 2001).]