PDA

View Full Version : I love Apple, but the display choices?

Dogstarman
05-21-2001, 07:27 PM
I just caught on that Apple no longer is selling any display cheaper than $600. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif And that is the beloved and spacious 15" LCD. All their displays are LCD. While trend-setting, it certainly puts a hiccup in the idea of a middle-of-the-road (financially) mac user. To get any new Mac with a larger than 15" display, you must spend at least $2300 - for the $1300 base Cube and the $1000 17" LCD.

I really do love Apple. Not the least of all for its ground-breaking steps in the face of adversity...but I totally wasn't ready for that. Fuel for the anti-Mac fire, especially with all the Mac stores beginning to open up.

Now is when I think more people will start looking at third-party answers, like most of us have been doing. I can see the faces on many people at home when they put together a system online....or better yet in the new stores.

OK, I am done now. I just can't believe it. But I have to....that's what my shrink tells me. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 21 May 2001).]

Louie
05-21-2001, 11:17 PM
Definitely time for an Attitude Check!

jorge
05-22-2001, 11:41 AM
what gets me, is if I want to run three 22" flat screens, we can't do it from Apple unless we buy the $400 converter boxes!

Why don't they sell PCI ADC connector video cards?

j

the_anarch
05-22-2001, 06:20 PM
Because no one makes 'em! It caught me quite by surprise when I found out the funky connector on the back of the PCI Radeon was not an ADC, but rather a DVI. (Actually, what I was surprised to learn was that I'd had this misconception for a long time that Apple's connector was DVI).

Not that it's cheaper than $600, but I thought Apple still made one 17" Studio Display that was a CRT... have they discontinued that?

Dogstarman
05-22-2001, 06:25 PM
They did indeed discontinue it. All their displays ('cept the iMacs) are LCD. Are we to expect an LCD iMac soon? The 17" Studio is an awesome monitor. It was selling for $450 from a few places a month or so ago.

magician
05-22-2001, 08:03 PM
whoa....you mean no other PCI card on the market but their stupid BTO Radeon and nVidia options support the 22-in monster display?

I was noticing that SRP had fallen on those things to what....$2500?

getting close to my target price. Hell, if they are retailing for that price, it's just a matter of time before I score three refurbs for under $2k each, which is when I leap.

but I MUST have three of them. Nothing else makes sense.

maybe they'll be retailing at $2k by Christmas time!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

chatwood2
05-22-2001, 09:54 PM
magician,

There is a way to have flat-panel Apple monitors on any (well... some) video cards other than the BTO Radeon and nVidia options. Here - http://www.drbott.com/prod/DVIator.html - is a doohiky that will allow connection of an ADC LCD (not the ADC CRT) Apple display to any video card (PCI or AGP) with a DVI output. (There were way too many acronyms in that sentence) The thing combines the required USB, DVI, and power into an ADC port which the display can connect to. What is great about this is it mean you can connect more than one Apple display to you Mac at a time, not posssible before. What it also means is that you can connect an Apple machine to an non-AGP Mac, also not possible before. For $150 it pays for its self if you take into account Apple's dropping display prices.

Once the three-cinema-display headed Mac with 57.18" of screen real-estate (measured diagonally) is set up I want a picture!

- Chris

[This message has been edited by chatwood2 (edited 22 May 2001).]

RedPhoenix
05-23-2001, 07:25 AM
Yeah, but I notice that the "DVIator" is on pre-order only. Anyone know when they'll actually ship?

I have a Yosemite and I *might* want to switch to an LCD one day, though I'd have to buy a Radeon to do so... oh well...

magician
05-24-2001, 02:19 PM
ok....for three Cinemas, you would need two Deviators since one can run off the Radeon AGP or nVidia AGP that comes stock with the machine. You only need the Deviator to adapt the DVI connector on the rear of the commercial Radeon to the ADC interface on the Cinema Display.

looking at that thing....someone is making rightous margins! No way that thing should cost 150 smackeroos.

oh, well. To the bold and the early go the spoils. I just wish it had been shipping awhile so we'd all know how well it actually works. Maybe we should sell them? I'll consider it, I guess, once I finally transition to a Sawtooth myself, with three Cinemas.

it's always something.

chatwood2
05-24-2001, 03:22 PM
magician,

I agree that $150 is a consiterable sum but I do see one major cost of producing these adaptors. To power the attached LCD the DVIator uses a genuine Apple power supply (seen to the right of the Yikes here: http://image.drbott.com/ws/DVIatorG3backlg.jpg . While I am sure that the company gets a price break, no Apple product comes cheap.

- Chris

magician
05-24-2001, 10:34 PM
I wondered about that.

thanks.

don't get me wrong. If that's what is necessary to run three Cinemas when I finally retire Beast to backup duty, Dr. Bott's will be getting my greasy greenbacks.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

chrismenke
05-29-2001, 11:59 PM
DSM,

The one thing I feel compelled to mention here, is that by forcing LCD screens on users, the LCD price drop will be somewhat accelerated. The more LCDs a company buys, the better the prices get, and since Apple has an exclusive LCD relationship (with Samsung?), increasing volume spells better prices for those of us who stay CRT for awhile.

That said, I must admint that having used a large number od displays over the last 4 years and 3 employers, the Apple LCDs are a cut above those of other manufacturers, and any LCD makes even the best Nanao CRT look crummy. I have an Azul 15" LCD at home (maybe 2 or 3 years old, with a standard video connector) running off ub?īr mutt's original ixMicro card, and it is perfect. No dead pixels, amazing integration with the monitors control panel, perfect sharpness...wonderful. I have also used both generations of Cinemas, and cannot come up with enough accolades for those. I have also used many 18.1" displays from other manufacturers, and while excellent, they just weren't perfect like the Apples.

I think if you want a CRT, buying the Sony tubed version from Sony or Nanao without the decorator case remains an option, and costs $150 less than the Apple did. As I see it, only color matching purists need CRT, and they have to buy expensive PressView types anyway.

My hope is that an increase in LCD orders facilitates completion of the rumored 24" Cinema, said to run at 2100 x 1280, and prices for smaller lcds continue their precipitous drop. The next generation Cinema is supposed to come out at or below $2499 (I'd figure below). I could live with one of those and the Azul.

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 30 May 2001).]