PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo 5 hangs my PTP

Warren Rogers
05-23-2001, 11:23 PM
Hi folks,

I need your help. I'm at my wit's end. Last week I got one of the Voodoo 5 cards from ComputerGeeks, the $69 deal. Hotdamn, I thought. But...

I can't get my system to stabalize with it.

Symptoms:

works fine for a while and then programs start to just quit more and more frequently until finally one of them just hangs the system. At this point it's about an 80/20 shot that a restart will not work. If I leave it off for a while it then works again. Getting too hot? Sure does act like it doesn't it? But the temp is the same (I think) as it's always been, 39C(109F)

Prior to this I had installed three new Silencer fans and the system seemed happy and quieter. (Do they move more or less air than the stock PTP fans? Should I perhaps do some custom cooling modifications here?)

My system:

PowerTower Pro
PowerLogix 220/110/512 G3 overclocked to 308/123. It's been stable at that setting for a year.(I intend to get an XLR8 Carrier 500 10X replacement in the near future.)
896 MB RAM
a second monitor (17") running off an ixMicro Ultimate Rez card
Plextor 32X CD Rom
Plextor 8/30 CD burner
2-9G 10K Cheetahs striped in a RAID 0 array on a Miles 2 UltraWide card
20G IDE Seagate on a ATA 33 card
2 Syjet 1.5G drives I never use

I am using the 3dfx to run a Nokia 21". I have installed the OpenGL 1.2.1 package and the 3dfx MacTools 1.1.2(11) stuff. It installs a GlideLib 2.x, GlideLib 3.x, Graphic Accelerator, OpenGL Renderer and Rave extensions.

I have moved the extensions from the beginning to the end of the loading sequence with no effect.

If I restart with extensions off after one of these hangs it will boot up and work. I've not tried that too often as there's little I can do without my extensions! (Especially my absolutely necessary OneClick!)

I really want this card to work. But if I can't get it too I will have to sell it and go back to my ATI which does work.

Any ideas, anyone?

-Warren

Warren Rogers
05-23-2001, 11:26 PM
That should be MacTools 1.1.3(22) stuff. I don't know how that typo got by! Sorry

dragon_x
05-24-2001, 07:17 AM
I would clock the CPU down. Just because the CPU is running cool (or is reported to run cool) doesnt mean that its running stable. Chips wear out over time.

kaye
05-24-2001, 02:01 PM
Warren,

I have a V5 in an S900 with Nokia Multigraph 445Xpro 21" monitor. The V5 has its own OpenGL driver, called 3dfx OpenGL Renderer. All of the OpenGL 1.2.1 stuff needs to be disabled/trashed.

I am running version 1.1.3 (22). You want the MacTools application in the Control Panels folder, and the following in the Extensions folder:

3dfx GlideLib2.x
3dfx GlideLib3.x
3dfx Graphics Accelerator
3dfx OpenGL Renderer
3dfx Rave

Your fans, the two in the rear should be sucking air from the box and blowing it out the back. The processor fan should be blowing air onto the processor. I don't know the Silencer fans.

As dx says, your processor may be overclocked too much with age, or the Silencers may not be moving as much air as what you had before. k

Warren Rogers
05-25-2001, 10:35 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I'm swamped with work. Just wanted to let you know I am grateful for your suggestions and hope I will have the time this weekend to explore them. I'll let you know what I learn when I learn it.

Warren

Warren Rogers
05-27-2001, 12:28 AM
dragon_x, kaye, clocking done seems to be doing it. It's been running now for about six hours with no trouble (shhh... don't want to jinx it!)

I only backed it off from 308 to 300. Of course, it could also be (?) that I also backed the bus down to 40 from 44. Who knows? I'm happy to have it working again. Your comment about an aging CPU gave me the excuse to go for a Guru's 466 G3 Carrier. I'm so glad I'm rational about these things!

thanks again, I wish all my mysteries could be so easily solved.