PDA

View Full Version : Oddness with Monitors control panel

the_anarch
05-13-2001, 09:54 AM
Recently I noticed that when I launched my Monitors and Sound control panel in OS 8.6, the title bar no longer read "Monitors and Sound", but rather now read simply the cryptic "W54". This was baffling me for the longest time until this morning, when I happened to be looking at the back of my monitor. What a coinkydink, it turns out the model name of my monitor is also "W54".

Anyone ever notice anything like this before?

Dogstarman
05-13-2001, 10:16 AM
I am not sure, but does it have anything to do with a calibrated profile? Does 8.6 even allow that? Man, I am getting forgetful. I remember somehow having a name for my monitors, but now that I am looking around, none of them have a name...they are mostly just "VGA Display". Just a thought. I am sure it has something to do with ColorSync and/or a profile.

kaye
05-13-2001, 12:20 PM
OS8.6 on my NuBus Mac with NuBus video card does that. OS8.6 on my two PCI machines with the same monitor also shows Nokia Multigraph 445Xpro, and has shown that ever since I installed 8.6 on those machines and after Colorsync calibration. When you do the calibration, there is a whole list of monitors to pick from, and my Nokia was on the list, even though it was sold as a PC monitor and never had Mac profiles. k

the_anarch
05-13-2001, 02:07 PM
Well, in my case, I've never calibrated this monitor, or chosen a color profile, or a brand name from any list (right now I just have "generic RGB" chosen). And to boot, this is about as generic a monitor gets- it's a DIVA America 15" sold by MacWarehouse under the PowerUser label.

I'm convinced that somehow my monitor is able to identify itself to my system, kinda like how hard drives identify themselves on the SCSI bus.

Louie
05-13-2001, 04:18 PM
Maybe it's a miracle.

Well, I'll be damned; the Monitors CP in 9.1 says PF790, the monitor's model number. The OS is one smart SOB.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 13 May 2001).]