PDA

View Full Version : bang for buck on storage

sDAVIS
02-22-2001, 01:16 PM
i am setting up a FCP/After Effects/Pro Tools/Photoshop workstation at home. I have a 500Mhz
DP ith one 5o pin SCSI PCI card. I need to get at least 36G of storage for my media. I see what the best is (Cheetah x15, granite cable, etc.); but my problem is that I am on a budget right now. What is the best system (everything included) that I can get for $800-$1000. I want to be able to add to this system as my storage needs grow.
P.S. I will eventually be using both DV and analog. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dogstarman
02-22-2001, 01:59 PM
I will assume that this is no longer a search for the fastest items....Now we have a limit to work within. Cool!

To plan on the future and still have wicked fast performance, we should start with a SCSI controller card. The ATTO UL3S is a single-channel Ultra3 (or 160) PCI-SCSI controller that has been proven to be a knockout on new Macs. So start there. The dual channel option is a great thing, but that would cost you $500 instead of $350.
http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?attoboards.html

So to get 36 GB out of Ultra3 you would need to get either a pair of drives or one jumbo one. To plan for expansion, I would go with one big one. Seagates are the choice of most pros here. So we have a couple options. Either a 36GB Barracuda (Gurus don't list them, but I know they are out there) or a 36 GB Cheetah. The Cheetah is a 10,000 RPM unit costing $580 at the Gurus. So that adds up to about a grand. I don't know how much a 36GB Cuda would be, but I know it should be only less 50-80 bucks cheaper in the 36GB flavor.

Don't hold me to that, though.
http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mg_hdseagates.html

You will (unfortunately) need to get a cable and a terminator, too. A quick fix would be to get the Guru's clearance item LVD cable for $30.

There's my 2 cents. Enjoy!

Louie
02-22-2001, 02:25 PM
An 18 GB UltraNarrow Barracuda hosted by a Miles BlueNote will give you almost 20 MB/sec internally.

http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mg_hdseagates.html

http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mgscsiinitioboards.html

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 22 February 2001).]

sDAVIS
02-22-2001, 06:25 PM
Should I go internally or external? From my limited understanding I would prefer to go external to accomodate any possible need for the expansion slots in my G4 (if for instance I upgrade to a Matrox board for real time rendering of FCP) Is there any reason to go with one 36G drive or to get 2 18G drives and configure them in a RAID? Do the gurus sell external drives?

magician
02-22-2001, 06:37 PM
I would go about this a little differently. If finances were not such a problem, I would definitely go with ATTO UL3D or UL3S, Granite hardware, and dual X15's. Nothing faster feasible given current technology.

in your case...I would probably install a 75GB IGM IDE drive, and be done with it for now. You can find them on the main site listed under IDE hardware.

it is always preferable to install internally when possible. We do not sell a standard external unit, as everything we build is custom, built to your specifications.

installing a single IDE drive will be cheap, fast enough, and will leave two bays free inside for two LVD drives in the future. You also won't have to purchase a PCI LVD board.

Louie
02-22-2001, 06:43 PM
SCSI host adapter cards are always "internal". If you have room, it's always better to mount drives internally. It cuts down on electrical noise and saves costs on cabling, power supplies, enclosures, fans, etc.

If done right, RAID 0 is about twice as fast as a single drive but you are twice as likely to have a failure.

Spacegost9
04-06-2001, 01:08 PM
I am not the biggest SCSI expert, but I have done my share of NLE work. I have a media100 and do some firewire stuff. For DV you will be able to get away with the slower speeds but if you say you are eventually going to be going analog as well you need to have at the very least 20mb/sec sustained with room to spare. I would set up A Raid 0. If you were willing to buy used stuff you could set up a 2/18gb raid for like 650. If not, I deffinitly think you should go with 2 18gb barracuda's. A have always like Adaptec cards but they may cost you a bunch. I have a feeling if you go IDE you are seriously going to regret it when you go analog. I would also make sure to go external because those G4's don't have to many slots as it is. Good Luck
-Brian

Mactacular
04-19-2001, 12:10 PM
VST UltraTek/66 ATA card- $89 + cheapest ATA drive available = cheap thrills

dminton
04-22-2001, 11:30 PM
I went the route magician recommended. I installed a 75GB 7200 RPM IDE (IBM 75GXP) drive in my G4 500 DP to capture from my Aurora Fuse. You didn't mention what capture card you have, but since mine only does 9MB/sec, I didn't need the superior bandwidth of SCSI for captures.

While I too would have preferred a RAID, my budget did not allow (I went for a better computer), and have not been disappointed.

Good luck,
David

Mactacular
04-23-2001, 02:14 PM
If you really want to spend a little money, get the VST UltraTek/66 ATA card w/ SoftRAID for around $89, 1 ( or 2 to make a RAID) IBM Deskstar 75GXP 46GB drives for around $199 each, and get some of that Granite Digital cabling. You can cheaply make a 100GB+ RAID disk with fancy cabling that makes it look like an expensive SCSI setup for a fraction of the cost. An ATA RAID setup is as fast as an expensive SCSI setup for sooo much less. Check here http://www.barefeats.com/hard13.htm for some benchmarks, ATA RAIDs are right up there in speed with SCSI solutions. I'm running an ATA setup in my PowerMac 8600/200 system and it is superb. With the extra money you can invest in a CD-RW, more RAM, or a really fast video card ( I like the 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 PCI card w/ 64MB VRAM, for $99-140 ). Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by Mactacular (edited 23 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mactacular (edited 23 April 2001).]