PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 2MX in 2x AGP G4?

schalliol
02-26-2001, 11:03 PM
So, there will be a few people with GeForce 2MX'es that will want GeForce 3's. Will they be able to sell them to go into G4's with 2X AGP? I've heard before some cards that do this, but don't know if all do. I bring this up because it doesn't seem like these users will be able to sell their cards unless this is the case.

kaye
02-27-2001, 04:44 AM
Seems to me that Breedon is testing both the GeForce 2MX and Radeon AGP in a G4-500DP with a 2x AGP slot on today's page, well yesterday now. According to him, yes, I think. k

Mas
03-08-2001, 03:42 PM
I REALLY saw Geforce 3 (Apple Store) would be compatible with G4s launcked after 2000 summer...

But did you know they changed it!
"Only for Power Mac G4 systems with the new 4X AGP card slot (Power Mac G4 desktops introduced in January 2001). "

So Geforce 3 can't go into 500DP or earlier!
We have Radeon card is the only option with ADC...(or Proformance 4...)

Mas

schalliol
03-08-2001, 04:21 PM
So is it correct that the GeForce 2 MX (or the RADEON if you like) is the fastest card that can go into 2x AGP G4's? If so, that sounds like those that spent all their money on the high end G4's quickly after announcement will be able to sell their GF2MX or RADEON cards to previous G4 owners, so they can put the GF3 or newer cards in their machines. Correct?

kaye
03-08-2001, 05:16 PM
s,

Sounds correct to me. k

PENDRAGON18
03-23-2001, 12:30 AM
I would imagine that 'ANY' AGP card is compatible with just about any AGP slot. The RADEON is much better than the GF2-mx, since it has DDR memory and a faster GPU (but limited in two texture games and ATI's lack luster driver developement.. but I digress).

The GF-3 is supposed to do something inSANE like 76GFlops, if that is to be believe (did I miss something?). So the card may be designed to only work with AGP 4x and faster. Strange, because AGP 8X aint out yet... I think SGI systems were getting this kind of bandwidth (2GB/s) in the video channel 2 years ago. I would think that they could make it compatible with 2x - at least, even though that may not fill the card fast enough - at 512MB/s. Of course we may need a G4/1.5GhzDP system to saturate the GF-3 http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Pitty the cheaper GF-2 isnt Mac compatible, but then I guess its old, dated technology http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif