PDA

View Full Version : Video upgrade for PM8600/200

swain_jon
02-25-2001, 07:13 PM
Hello again 'Gurus!

I just got through browsing some new games at the local store. I noticed that I could not satsify the minimum hardware requirements for a title I was interested in. It required a minimum of 6MB of VRAM. What kind of card would you recommend for game play?

Thanks,
Jon

Dogstarman
02-25-2001, 07:21 PM
We need a couple things to start. Budget (becoming an increasing factor here) and any other needs (video in/out, etc). I would recommend anything from a Voodoo 4 or 5 to a Radeon to a Proformace 3/4 depending on any factors that come into play with the budget/needs. I am satisfied with my Voodoo3 3000 in my 9600. But I know the new cards (Radeon, etc) are downright awesome. For the money, that is.

If I had my druthers, I would get a Radeon.

plarkin
03-13-2001, 04:21 PM
As far as the Voodoo3 in a 9600, that uses unsupported drivers? (Well, I guess all 3dfx drivers are unsupported now.) Does everything work right? I think thats the route I might be taking since the video card outlook on Macs is grim.

magician
03-14-2001, 12:46 AM
we're preparing to unleash a full-blown overhaul of our video pages very shortly.

Dogstarman
03-14-2001, 05:57 PM
I am using the VooDoo 4/5 drivers now. I flashed my VooDoo3 2000 card with the ROM for the VooDoo3 3000, since the only difference in the cards is the clock speed (as far as I can tell). Now I am running the card at 167Mhz and have zero problems. Temp stay fine. FPS (cuz some folks believe that THAT is where the truth lies) in Q3 is up an average of 2 with the faster ROM. The newest SW includes a minimlistic (but functional) control panel. There are tons of folks out there with identical setups to mine. Like I said. It works great. 2D performance isn't stellar, but that is why I have a second card and another monitor. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

plarkin
03-14-2001, 10:50 PM
So you use the Voodoo 4/5 Installler thing to run the Voodoo3 2000? Interesting.

When you say 2D performance isn't great ... what else is there? 3D gaming?

kaye
03-15-2001, 05:26 PM
Basically you look at video card performance in three areas, 2D, 3D applications, and 3D games. k

Dogstarman
03-15-2001, 11:56 PM
Right. And 2D is not a killer here. Mind you, I was upgrading from an ATI Nexus GA 16MB (not the 128...the older one) and it beats the heck out of that. 3D gaming is great. 3D apps are quite impressive. THough I don't do much with them, I do keep something around just to play with and benchmark things as I amass them.

The Voodoo 4/5 drivers work great. The last 2 revisions of the beta Voodoo3 drivers started performing poorly on my machine. Noticeably slower 3D gaming. And the little bit of gaming I do is 3D stuff. And I figured 3dfx should have great 3D. So I followed a lead a while back and tried. Voila! Works better than any of the beta drivers did for me. Combined with the slight overclock, it has proven to be a great little sub-$100 item.

PENDRAGON18
03-20-2001, 07:06 PM
My V3-3K is pretty good to.. but now that I have a V5- FSAA is IT! For Glide games like unreal, UNREAL Tourney and anything else that uses the 'Glide standard', 3Dfx cards ROCK. I didnt notice much difference between the b12 and VSA100 drivers (VSA100 is the chip/design in the V4 & V5). The VSA100/3Dfx control panel does give more options with a V4 or V5 card. You could probably get a Mac V5 for $150 or a Mac V4 for $100. I've seen the V3s for about $60~$80. I think you need to flash those with the 'flasher program' first. Some of these V3 cards do not flash very well... but maybe they fixed that before they went under?

The ATI RAGE 128 is not very good for gaming. Its really only playable at 16bit, but then it looks like crap. The 3Dfx 16bit looks much, much better - its actually 22bit dithered (rendered?). The RADEON PCI is a great card too.. but it seems glitchy. I plan on getting this for my B&W G3, since that should be supported for X (or at least boot & run with 10.0 - I hope). Since your 8600 isnt supported for X anyway it may not matter if you go ATI or 3Dfx.

You also might want to check the game to see what it supports. Glide is dead - as is RAVE (rage?), but many games still use this. OpenGL is the future for the Mac and support is getting better. Quake games seem to dislike Voodoo cards. Not sure what Carmack has agains 3Dfx, but it shows. At least ID is supporting OpenGL and the Mac fairly well. I think ATI cards would be better at RAVE or OpenGL - so if you are getting games that only support those standards - you may be better off with the RADEON. Of course the V3 is the best bang for the buck$.

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!