PDA

View Full Version : Sound in on "Digital Audio" G4 Series

dminton
03-14-2001, 12:46 PM
My understanding is the latest G4 series (dubbed Digital Audio) does not have the traditional sound in port we know and love. I have been doing video capture for the web (low quality) with an ATI 128 VR card with acceptable results.

I am considering upgrading to a new 533DP, but need a good (affordable) sound in option. I have also considered upgrading to an Aurora Fuse, but this would still need a sound in solution for capture.

$2500 is about all I want to spend now, so another option would be to get a referb 500DP for $2200, and get DVD-RAM as a bonus.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thnaks,
David

kaye
03-14-2001, 02:17 PM
Is there anything here http://www.telalink.net/~griffin/audio/index.html that would work. G4's and DP's are beyond me. k

magician
03-15-2001, 05:05 AM
hmm.

got me on this one.

maybe Jorge knows?

the_anarch
03-15-2001, 09:23 PM
Possibly stupid idea here: Could you just migrate the XClaimVR to your new DP533 with you, and use it for just the sound input?

dminton
03-15-2001, 09:55 PM
The 128VR card (as the Fuse) does not have audio in, just video in. The card depends on using the Mac's built in Audio in port. So, I would be out of luck.

Any ideas? This should be a big deal, if I understand things correctly. As I understand it, the new G4 macs do not have the 1/8" audio in jack. How would you recommend using a Fuse (or 128 VR) card with such a system?

Thanks again,
David

Chucko
03-15-2001, 11:05 PM
The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 can be had for about $150, but the drivers are immature for the Digital Audio G4s. Whether it would work for your application is a crap shoot, because there are big problems with the Sound Manager drivers. They seem to work fine in audio recording apps that support the ASIO interface standard.

See www.m-audio.com (http://www.m-audio.com) for more info on the card.

The SoundBlaster might be an option, when it becomes more than vaporware, that is.

Just a data point from a single-processor G4/533 owner.

batmantis00
03-15-2001, 11:52 PM
well, there is one easy solution that wont cost much and wont be subject to wierd software problems. however, it probably wont be high fidelity either. actually, i havent used it so i cant really say how good or bad it will be. anyway, if you go to the apple store, click on accessories, then click on other, at the bottom of the page is the Griffin iMic Audio Interface. its $34. ive seen it in catalogs and at compUSA as well, and might be cheaper there. anyway, it plugs into your usb port and has a headphone and a microphone jack. both 1/8". fortunately, it also looks kind of cool, atleast until you start plugging stuff into it. then you go to radio shack and pick up a 1/8th to rca adapter.

dminton
03-16-2001, 08:24 AM
I've read mixed reviews of the iMic. Has anyone actually tried it for use with 128 VR or Fuse. I think I read about audio synch problems, but I can't remember. I would rather get a first hand report.

jorge
03-16-2001, 12:16 PM
I understand your pain guys with this audio input issue. I am having the issue two fold since I am using a dual 533 and a Ti G4. Going to try the iMic, but I as well have heard contrary stories.

On my dual 533, instead of the Fuse, I went with the Igniter. Here is why: Fuse board is about $500. Then an audio input is needed. DigiDesign has an AudioMedia III board which sells about $350 or so but can be had @ Guitar Center for $200 on sale. Now were are at $500 for Fuse plus $200 for AudioMedia III and 2 less PCI slots!

Darin is using an AudioMedia III board. Have no idea if it includes drivers or if the Sound Manager handles it. Digi Design is know to be very picky drivers and hardware.

j

Michael
03-16-2001, 12:32 PM
actually a PCI audio card is your best bet. that way you will satisfy your audio needs for video once and for all. Digi stuff is picky/expensive. you don't need to go that route. there are a number of alternatives. basically the cards all do the same thing; it's the software that's important. most on the forums know, i'm a MOTU advocate. for pro audio they can't be beat. they give digi a run for their money and their card is about $300 and ships with rudimentary recording software.
another option is Digibid. as an example go to http://www.digibid.com/item/showItem.cfm?aid=48936 for a card that's reasonable and will do way more than you need.
why torture yourself with sound manager and the little miniplug inputs.
M

jorge
03-16-2001, 06:16 PM
Michael,
I got my Ti G4 this week. Damn, I love this thing. Can't wait to install some 512MB chips.

Have one dead pixel. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

j