PDA

View Full Version : Power Macintosh G3 display

Dberryann
03-09-2001, 11:00 AM
I use a "one piece" Power Mac G3 at work. The display screen always has about a half inch of black "undisplayed" area that is clearly not in use. I have fooled around with the display modes but that doesn' t make the display area any bigger. I don't have a clue as to how to setup the display to use all of the monitor space. My administrator doesn't have a clue either. Can any of you guys help me?

ChrisYip
03-09-2001, 11:12 AM
Sounds like it's just a case of setting the horizontal / vertical size of the screen as you might do on a normal external monitor.. Not sure how to do that on those machines though if all the adjustments are inside the case.

Chris

kaye
03-09-2001, 11:26 AM
D,

I can't answer for your "one piece" Power Mac G3, nor for newer Apple monitors, but older Apple monitors I could never get to eliminate the black frame. Two monitors I have now, a Sony and a Nokia, have hardware onboard for adjusting screen size to eliminate the black area. The Nokia also has memory to remember the stretching for all of the resolutions I use (up to 1600x1200).

It is not the easiest adjustment to make because the horizontal and vertical stretching also affects pincushion, so with the Nokia I had to go back and forth between the three adjustments until I got it right and with no distortion.

Another point, I use three Macs, all of which use different video cards. So the adjustment has to be made for each of them, after you make another adjustment for centering the display. But the Nokia will remember 16 settings, so once set for each Mac/video card, everything works automatically for whichever Mac I have connected to the monitor. The Sony is not so versatile, and is an older monitor, so my son uses it for one Mac. k

Louie
03-09-2001, 07:30 PM
You will never get rid of all the black and still keep the proper proportion for the various resolutions that you might use. All high-end monitors have a multitude of available adjustments. I've never looked at the Beige G3 All-In-One, but if it's like Apple's previous AIO machines, most of the adjustments will be found inside and not accessible to the operator. A technician could minimize the black area if everything is still working correctly.

magician
03-10-2001, 12:37 AM
you will probably find flanges inside, on the neck of the CRT that adjust this. It may even be controlled by small screw thingies that you adjust with special display tools.

meddling with this stuff is best left to qualified technicians, as you can easily get a shock that will bust your pacemaker and knock you down. It can be hazardous.

believe it or not, Apple deliberately set most of their displays, at least the older ones, to use that black border. I never really understood why. I used to adjust screen size all the time on Mac SE's etc., back in the day.

batmantis00
03-10-2001, 06:51 PM
there isnt a geometry option in the monitors control panel? i used to use a 1710av monitor and the monitors&sound control panel handled it then, and the current apple crt displays have the geometry configurations in the monitor control panel. the AIO came out right in between those two products, so it seems odd that apple would deliberately make that option unavailable in that computer. i think even the iMacs have that ability.

Louie
03-10-2001, 11:25 PM
The AIO was sold for Educational Purposes only. They didn't want the kids futzing with controls plus it's cheaper the way they did it. All the AIO Macs and Performa's are that way.

batmantis00
03-12-2001, 12:50 AM
retarted