PDA

View Full Version : Supermac monitor for Power PC?

MrCreosote
03-08-2001, 01:03 PM
I was recently GIVEN a 19" Supermac monitor, along with a Centris 610, that was no longer needed by a family friend. I thought "Great!" I'll just yank the video card out of the Centris and pop it into my main Mac, which is a Power PC Power Center 150. On taking the machines apart, it became quickly evident that the pin configurations on the motherboards did not match, and I therefore could not use the video card.

I had previously tried merely plugging the Supermac into the Power PC directly, since there are a total of four monitor inputs (I figured maybe the PC already had what was necessary to drive the Supermac), but it did not work. The monitor is completely functional, as I have used it hooked up to the Centris.

I tried a switchbox adapter, but it seems this is not the answer either. Any idea if it is a video card that I need for this thing, and if so, what kind I need? Thanks --

ChrisYip
03-08-2001, 01:30 PM
Well - the Centris has a Nubus while the PC150 is PCI based so that would explain the slot problem

Now - the video out should be standard VGA - I think on the PC150's

Not clear what you mean about having 4 monitor inputs though. What you might have to do is change the monitor settings on your PC150 so that it defaults to some standard scan rate and match that up with your monitor. I'd check to see what resolutions / sync rate etc that your Centris uses and then match that up with that on your PC 150.

If the sync rates are off, then at the least it would look funny.. and then the next is that it won't show up..

Or - one thought - there's that odd Sync on Green thing - maybe that's the problem - the SuperMac is an older monitor meant to go on Macs so you might need one of those converters that takes a standard VGA out and maps it to a Mac monitor cable..(i.e. Apple was non-standard for a while in terms of their monitor connections)

Hope this helps.

Chris

Louie
03-08-2001, 08:18 PM
Right, the SuperMac is Synch-on-Green and uses BNC connectors, I think. It's not a true MultiScan as we know it today. I think it only does a couple of resolutions. I used one once and never figured it out. Kaye may know; he messes with old Mac's.

kaye
03-08-2001, 08:29 PM
I never had one of those SuperMac monitors but go here http://www.telalink.net/~griffin/ and they have a configurator somewhere to pick an adapter for a specific monitor and computer/video card. Or a call to them will get the answer. k

Tylor
03-09-2001, 01:19 AM
David Pogue always called it Sink-on-Green. A pointless design change made up apparently for the sole purpose of causing trouble, unless someone else actually has a valid advantage it ever did give?

MrCreosote
03-09-2001, 10:33 AM
Excellent stuff -- I contacted Griffin, and was able to order a 60Hz adapter kit. The kit includes cabling and install software (which is self-installing and does not require a monitor for setup), and is about $50 US. The monitor problem is, as you guys noted here, its having been designed to run on the older Macs.

Thanks everyone for your input -- I can't believe how this turned around in less than a day. Thank you --