PDA

View Full Version : Real Time Video Capture/Editing

hadman
03-04-2001, 04:49 AM
Hi,
I'm using a G3 Beige DT, 384 RAM, with a Sonnet Encore 500Mhz processor upgrade.
I have an internal 6 gig HD, as well as a 30 gig external firewire drive (Avg Access Time: 8.5ms/7200RPM/12MB Transfer The firewire card I'm using is an Orange Micro Orangelink PCI card:400Mbits/second. Also using FC Pro and Premiere 5.1 for editing.

So my question(s) finally...

What's missing? What's good/not good? I love the FUSE/IGNITER cards, but I have a DV camcorder - where's the DV in on the Aurora cards? Isn't that pretty essential? What should I be looking to upgrade based on my system?

I will say this...I have found that the video that goes in to the Mac never comes out looking quite the same once I've edited and transfered to video.
Also, (at times) when viewing work in a small preview window, sometimes it will jump to full screen size and begin to play 1 frame every 3 seconds.

I appreciate any solid advice/experience you can share with me.

Thanks!
hadman

MacMikester
03-04-2001, 02:08 PM
Hey hadman,

I am not a pro in this field, but I can sort of put out some issues here that the pros can clarify or amplify.

Your system is marginal for pro quality video and you are very lucky if you are not experiencing audio sync problems with the Sonnet upgrade card. Digital video and Analog video are two very different things, apples and oranges. Digital video is real time but compressed, that compression is lossy and you cannot control it. Analog video can be real time or not, compressed or not and you can control the amount of lossiness by your choice of codecs and the speed of your hardware. Analog realtime, uncompressed options are very high end and expensive, also requiring uncompromising quality in hardware. Aurora provides an entire range of analog options available, from affordable to kickass and, if I'm not mistaken provides a high end breakout box solution with the Igniter that includes Digital I/O.

I apologize if anything above is not exactly correct, but I hope it will get the experienced guys to jump in and correct if necessary.

Regards

magician
03-05-2001, 12:20 AM
I'm impressed that your hardware works at all. We have had many reports of problems with Encore Sonnet upgrades in beige G3.

hadman
03-05-2001, 07:33 AM
The Sonnet upgrade has been fine. Though I did experience 1 common issue some of the others here had, which was the result of the packing foam sticking to the pins. Once I figured out that was the culprit, it has run well for me. However, it's only been about 2 months since the upgrade.
So anyone have any more suggestions regarding my current setup?
Does my external firewire drive meet the requirements, or should I be looking at the Guru supported Cheetah?
Will I see better results with a capture card like the FUSE, running the S-Vid from my DV cam, as opposed to my current setup -- the DV cam straight to the firewire input?
Inquiring minds want to know...
And just to spice it up, has anyone used the EditDV card. Thoughts?

Looking forward to your stimulating input!

Regards,
hadman - stellar jr.member

magician
03-06-2001, 12:42 PM
I would prefer to let someone who actually does video handle this one.

anyone?

jorge
03-06-2001, 08:01 PM
I have an email from Aurora Design somewhere. Remember them saying the Quicktime codec's quality wasn't that great. They advised to pull the video through the S-Video cable from the DV cameras.

WIll find the email tomorrow and post it.

j

Tylor
03-07-2001, 01:21 AM
Unless you're doing video editing on a professional level, you have most of what you need, though I like some extra disk space myself. Indeed, the DV codec doesn't have the best of quality, and it never seems to show up properly in a lot of QuickTime programs aside from iMovie.

I have a miro DC30. I've grabbed video off DVDs through S-Video many times, and it comes out exceptionally well. Only problem I have is the interlacing, it shows up when there's a lot of movement, which I can't get the card to stop doing. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy. I can record and playback 640x480 at 30fps no problem, and I've only got a 300MHz G3 MT, with the original graphics chip. Compressed with JPEG or DV, video usually goes down to 4-7MB/s with no visible loss at all.

Firewire is a very overrated and expensive technology at this point. The faster SCSI interfaces and Ultra ATA both outrun it easily. Just run the video in through the S-VIdeo ports. It's simplest and you'll likely get much better quality.

[This message has been edited by Tylor (edited 07 March 2001).]

hadman
03-07-2001, 02:54 AM
I admit I got caught up in the Firewire hype. However, at the time, the 36 gig firewire hard drive I bought was almost $300 less than a Fast/Wide SCSI. I had the DV cam anyway, so I just went for it. Also the $100 firewire card from Orange Micro was considerably less than the Aurora products.
My main stumbling block though, has been the actual playback. I'll be previewing my work in a small window, then suddenly it will take over the whole monitor and begin playing at super slow speed. That is the issue I can't figure out. Is it hard drive speed? Is it a RAM issue?
Really enjoying your input. The Aurora email sounds like a good read Jorge.

Thanks to all.
Hadman

kaye
03-07-2001, 10:09 AM
The only things that stick out to me are 1) the firewire card. Magician had this to say in another thread (there may be later versions now to the mentioned software and he was referring to a combo card):

the secret we have found to installing FireWire cards is to ensure that you install the Apple FireWire 2.5, the Apple USB 1.4.1, and the card-specific drivers BEFORE you install the card.

try different PCI slots, too.

while they can be a little finicky sometimes, we have never failed to make them work--unless they were just defective.

2) The other possibility, from the Gurus Sonnet Upgrade pages:
Sonnet upgrades are not compatible with most audio and video editing solutions. If you are working with Aurora Design Igniter, Targa, Digidesign, Media 100 and similar hardware, you should be buying XLR8 CarrierZIF daughtercards which are compatible. We have also received reports from the field suggesting that Sonnet PCI upgrades do not work well with RATOC, Apple, and OrangeMicro FireWire cards used with FinalCut Pro and Premiere.

#2 seems more likely but #1 is worth a shot. k