PDA

View Full Version : video card for performa 6400/180

vruch
03-04-2001, 12:44 PM
I need a 4MB pci video card in order to get thousands/millions of colors on graphite apple 17 studio display attached to performa 6400/180. I am clueless about the language and names involved in trying to read about video cards. I don't play games. I want to use Adobe PhotoShop 6.0. I don't care about gaming at all. Could you advise me or at least tell me what I am looking for...some names....web sites...companies?

Louie
03-04-2001, 02:31 PM
Your machine has on-board video with only 1 MB 0f VRAM. The only way to get decent video is to add a PCI video card in one of you two PCI slots. If I remember correctly, the length of PCI cards is limited in that machine and, and there were some capatibilty issues with certain video cards in that machine but that may have been after G3 upgrades.

Someone should come along that will be able to recommend specific cards to look for. Used cards may be the answer.

vruch
03-04-2001, 07:09 PM
What about this one? The specs don't list Apple Studio display, but lists 17 inch multiscan and millions of colors.

ATI XCLAIM GA PCI Video Card for Mac
This card was pulled from a good PowerMac 7500. It makes an excellent card for accelerated video or to run a second monitor on your PCI mac. This card has 4 megs of VRAM and supports resolutions up to 1600x1200. Covered by our 30 day warranty.

Louie
03-04-2001, 07:19 PM
It's a little old and slow, but will do what you want. The only big question is what type connection does the Studio Display have? If it has a SVGA connector, you may need a Mac to VGA adapter which is not a problem. If the monitor has ADC or whatever they call this latest connector, there is a problem. You should also ask the length of the card, so you can look and compare that to in inside of your computer.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 04 March 2001).]

Louie
03-04-2001, 07:39 PM
I just checked Apple's site. The 17" Studio Display uses the Apple Display Connector (ADC). It's a special 28 volt, digital, USB connector. I've heard the Apple store has converters, but I couldn't find them. You might be better off to get a third party monitor with a VGA connector. Apple is making things difficult again.

vruch
03-04-2001, 07:39 PM
The spec sheet says:
Interfaces Required:
Port(s)/Connector(s) Required - 1 x display/video VGA/VBE/15 PIN D-Sub (DB-15) female-1
There is a power cord from the monitor that plugs into the tower and another cable that fits into the 15 pin port at the top of the tower.
I will write the guy and ask about the length. I have probably blown it here, but I hope not.

vruch
03-04-2001, 07:42 PM
I think we might not be on the same page here. I don't have one of the new new studio displays. This is the graphite guy with the straight legs. There is no USB involved here. The cable from the monitor just looks like an ordinary old 15 pin monitor cable to me.

Louie
03-04-2001, 08:24 PM
Yes, you're describing the older version and I'm looking at the current version.

kaye
03-05-2001, 12:31 AM
v,

As Louie says, your box is limited to the shorter PCI cards, commonly called the 7" cards, and I notice Apple says maximum 6.88" for your box. A lot of the older video cards used 512KB VRAM chips. For instance, my ixMicro Ultimate Rez card with 8MB VRAM has 16 of these 512KB chips plus all of the other circuitry, so it is a much longer card, 9". My TwinTurbo 8MB is also 9". The other problem is that it is difficult to get the length spec on older cards. I checked ATI site for the ATI XCLAIM GA and found everything but the length of the card.

Another example, the Radeon PCI 32MB card is only 6.5" with four 8MB DDR VRAM chips. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 05 March 2001).]