PDA

View Full Version : Formac fun stuff......

crazyeights
02-28-2001, 01:25 AM
Hi guys.....I have a friend who has a major profesional need for a video capture card, and has run smack into the Aurora Fuse dry channel issue (shortage of build parts=manufacturer outage).

Mag, or anybody else.......has anyone used the Formac FireWire "studio" module with PCI firewire?

On the Formac site there is one sentence which says "works only with original Apple FireWire interface!". Does this mean it will only work with MOBO interfaced FireWire?

He's working on a LARGE project starting at the end of this week, and could really use some help with finding a good video capture solution. He's doing the voice/music track for a long video feature, and needs something that will NOT drop frames, so when he weds the sound to the actual footage, it won't look like a case of bad lip sync.

Magician.....anybody.....?

thanks,

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 28 February 2001).]

jorge
02-28-2001, 08:42 AM
is the Formac box shipping?

Have you given the Sony DVMC-DA2 a look? It converts an analog video and audio on the fly to your computer. You can then output the video in digital or analog format and connects with a ilink cable (4 pin firewire). J&R has them. You can haggle them down to $299 each.

No one has any Fuse cards? damn that sux.

What machine does you friend have? fast enough processor/ storage / enough ram?

j

magician
02-28-2001, 12:45 PM
hey, not sure what's up with Aurora, but we do have some Igniter cards on the shelf (27 at last count, but that can change rapidly due to stock balancing, etc). We only have one with Premiere, but you probably already own it.

this is probably the best option we can recommend at this time. We're not aware that Formac Studio is shipping at this time....we are aware of the "native FireWire-only" requirement, however, and plan to put it to the test when we get final shipping samples.

crazyeights
02-28-2001, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys. He's got a PPC 9650 aka "kansas". He's got LVD stuff already, 256MB RAM.

He's really an audio engineer, but has a project which requires him reading an hour long video program onto his machine so he can compose and synch audio and voice. The card he's using drops an occasional frame, so over an hour, the potential for his timing to vary too much is significant.

Mag, he buys his gear outta pocket, and since he works on this project once a year, I expect the Igniter was too rich for him. I finally got him to come over here and take a look, and wouldn't you know, Aurora is having trouble keeping up. I think he's got a call into you Mag.

Jorge, have you used the Sony device? Does it work well, and as stated by Sony?

I don't know if Studio is shipping yet, it looks like they'll let you buy it though.

Thanks again guys.

c8

jorge
02-28-2001, 10:20 PM
I used the Sony box for a week and didn't like the results on my 9600. The Quicktime codec isn't that great.

The Igniter card is a great option since the Aurora Design codec is much higher quality that quicktime has offered. Never mind you get video and audio capture on one board. Saves a slot in my eyes.

Though your friend does audio, he already has the system, just wants to add video to it. The Fuse is it. What a situtation.

j

magician
02-28-2001, 11:30 PM
the girls are handling the Aurora backorder situation right now, and they've got a hard count of how many boards are inbound (and when), and who they are allocated to in advance. It might be a good idea for your pal to talk to Nelly or Deb and get an order in. I overheard them today confirm the date that they are expected, but of course it went right in and out.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

03-01-2001, 12:19 AM
Dave,
sorry I can't add much here. I would love to test the Formac dealie as it looks great and fills a perfect notch in the market. I wish we had come out with that.

If I were a betting guy, I'd think that the motherboard FireWire requirement was more propaganda. Most every other FireWire device on the market will work with PCI FireWire cards, so I can't see this being different. Then again, I could be wrong.

crazyeights
03-01-2001, 12:31 AM
Hey, thanks guys. I passed on the info to my buddy. Hopefully Aurora's delivery time frame will sync up to his advantage.

Best,

c8

despaxas
03-01-2001, 04:34 AM
On a forum a while ago, the DVMC was discussed and I think it was golivera that said the pixels looked "funny" when video was captured with the DVMC, then exported through it again. I assume that to mean that it looks fine when captured and converted to digital video, but gets the artifacts when that same video is converted back to analog. Too bad...it seems like a neat device.

jorge
03-01-2001, 10:52 AM
des,

goliveira was my tag before I became a moderator. The final video was crappy. Made me believe I couldn't get good looking video from a Vintage machine till I saw the Fuse and Igniter output. Got me all fuzzy inside again.

j

crazyeights
03-02-2001, 03:31 AM
UPDATE: I guess my bud has a standing order with you guys, and was contacted a second time when the gals realized the inventory was gone, so, presumably, he is at the top of the list for an order fill on the Fuse boards.

Appreciate your feedback on this topic. When I get the other PTP souped up, I'l want to put some major goodies in it for video. Sounds like the Fuse is the best choice.

Regards,

c8