PDA

View Full Version : XCLAIM VR 128 card problematic?

wannalearnmoreonmymac
02-09-2001, 10:49 PM
I found a source for the last few remaining XCLAIM VR 128 PCI video cards. I like it because it has video in and out and would be an inexpensive solution for getting video in and out of the computer. I was set on buying one but I read a lot about problems with that card. For instance, I can't have my original video card and VR 128 installed at the same time to let me use 2 monitors at the same time? And there were other posted problems from upset users, although I admit these posts were from quite a while back. Maybe the problems have been resolved.

My question is should I get one or will it be more grief than it's worth? I'm not very high tech. Or would getting the new Radeon card be better. The only reason I would get the VR128 is because of the video in/out ports. I have a Mac G3/350 B&W with stock ATI rage 128 card.

Thanks for any help http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

magician
02-10-2001, 12:30 AM
I am aware of no reason why you couldn't use a Rage 128VR in a B&W with its standard Rage 128 video card to run a second display.

How much are the rage 128VR? Who has them?

they are awesome boards!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

crazyeights
02-13-2001, 04:12 AM
Hey, WLMOMM, when you buy or decide to pass on that card, fire me off an e-mail on the source.

I will, of course, then pass that info on to Magician........(After I score man)...

Michael
02-13-2001, 12:49 PM
that makes two of us.
at least.
M

wannalearnmoreonmymac
02-13-2001, 02:34 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting where to get these cards. According to the folks at Mac Connection, they have some VR 128 cards in stock for $200.00. And they are about the only place that has them as far as I could find. MC catalogue # 110912. ATI mfg# 100-416094. MC phone is 800-800-2222. Hope this is helpful.

I still don't know if that card will do what I want it to do. I don't really need it for watching television, unless it will allow me to capture the audio/video of the TV signal. I want to be able to record the a/v of whatever is happening on my computer screen to a VCR or a digital camcorder (I don't have the camcorder yet). For instance if I'm playing my new spiffy 'Maximum Pool' game, I want to be able to record it live as I am playing, because there is no 'save' feature in the game. I also want to be able to capture a/v from a VCR or camcorder into the computer. And I need to be able to use iMovie to edit, and make videos out of the edited movie. Well, there you have it. I've never done anything like this and am starting from scratch. I have a G3/350 B&W.

WLMOMM

Miles
02-13-2001, 06:55 PM
I don't know if iMovie will do the trick - I think it only works with a digital camcorder with firewire. You may be able to imort files into iMovie after capturing them with the XClaim VR, but they have to be in DV-NTSC format, which is basically an uncompressed DV stream. The VR cards come with an editor though, and although it isn't as easy as iMovie, it will certainly do the job.

You can output whatever is on your XClaim VR screen to a VCR or TV but I'm not sure about the audio, which may have to be patched from the speaker jack... I've got an old version of the card and that is the case for me. They may have integrated the audio stuff on the VR 128. They did on the PC Radeon All-in-Wonder which was the equivalent of the VR. With the dearth of PCI Radeons for the mac I suppose it would be too much to ask for an XClaim VR Radeon...

BTW, $200 seems a bit steep for a discontinued card. The new Radeons go for that much after rebate. Any thoughts on that?

magician
02-13-2001, 08:55 PM
yeah...I think it's a matter of being the only game in town. You would not believe some of the offers we have received from vendors who somehow believe that we are hoarding a batch of boards. (I have no idea who propagated that nonsense, unless it was Darin, getting back at me because I made fun of his hair).

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

gotta tell you....I think it is very, very weird that ATI did not incorporate support for their pod with an AV chip (I think they called it Rage Theater?) on the Radeon....it's great that you can output toa big NTSC display. Really. But you need to be able to watch TV, too, and I have doubts about using their new xTV product over USB to do so. We're very spoiled by our Rage 128VR's. We won't give them up until something much, much better is available.

wannalearnmoreonmymac
02-20-2001, 07:26 PM
After a long wait I just got this email reply from ATI support:

"Regarding having the Xclaim VR and Rage 128 in your system:

You are able to use both cards in your system without problems.

If you would like to use the enhanced features of the Xclaim VR, make sure is set up as the 1st monitor. Also, you must keep the video window on the monitor screen that is attached to that card or your system will run poorly or unstable."

Even though I already decided not to jump on getting a VR 128 card now, I would still like to know what that email from ATI means, in case I do get it, or another card like a Radeon.

Thanks,

WLMOMM

Louie
02-20-2001, 08:48 PM
Canada has rather relaxed immigration laws and, therefore, have a large number of what we would call Foreign Nationals. Their English is sometimes not so great.

I would say that it means that both cards can be used together but keep the monitor attached to it designated as Number 1 and keep the desktop on that same monitor (assuming two monitors. all settings done in the Monitors Control Panel).

magician
02-20-2001, 10:54 PM
right. The Rage 128VR must handle the primary display with the menu bar. I tried running a Mac with three of them, once, thinking I would use cable splitter to watch different channels on different displays, but it wouldn't work. The TV feature only supports the display with the menu bar.

once you get past it, it's not so bad. I'm watching some show on MTv right now featuring models in bikinis. While I am writing this, on my other display.