PDA

View Full Version : dual monitors for FC Pro video editing

tdoody
02-18-2001, 08:43 PM
As opposed to spenfding $3500+ for an apple 22" Cinema Display for my video editing on Final Cut Pro, I've considered purchasing a dual monitor card and two apple 15.1"lcd displays to get a total of over 30" viewable area. Right now I'm using an Apple 21" studio display.

Is this dual lcd moitor approach an advisable path to take for video editing in FCP?

I am considering upgrading from my G3 450 to either the G4 dual 533 or the 733 system to drive this. I presently use a separate 20" sony ntsc broadcat monitor for previewing. Any thoughts on preference of dual 533 vs. 733 for digital video editing?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

despaxas
02-19-2001, 03:41 AM
FCP is a dream with two monitors. You can drag the windows to whichever monitor you want, but somewhere in the preferences there is an option for dual monitor support which will move the viewer:slug and clip windows to one monitor, and the timeline and tools to the other, automatically. It rocks (especially with 3 monitors http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

ChrisYip
02-19-2001, 07:36 AM
Dual / multiple monitors are a terrific way to go for just about anything... most of our lab computers are now running as dual monitor systems. It's a vicious cycle - you'll never go back to a single monitor after using two.. ;-)..

Chris

jorge
02-19-2001, 08:21 AM
Dual processors are better than one in my opinion. Though the 733 is rumored to be really fast. Until it ships, its vaporware.

I am running a dual 533 and so far, been happy with it. Really hope the 733s are as fast as Apple says for their own sake.

j

magician
02-19-2001, 11:01 AM
I personally would have a hard time going from a single 21-incher to a pair of 15-inchers. Rather than spending more for the flat displays, at this time, I would just continue to use the 21, and get another one or two of them.Remember, you've got four PCI slots in the new Sawtooth, so a dual-AGP and a single PCI card will handle three displays.

I've been using three displays on my Macs since I could afford to do so, and I've never looked back. It's an amazing productivity booster, and really enables the Mac to shine at what it does best: run multiple apps simultaneously across multiple displays.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
02-19-2001, 08:19 PM
Since you are used to a 21" monitor, I feel that you will be displeased with two 15" ers no matter how pretty the are.