PDA

View Full Version : Monitor resolution stuck

Z
02-13-2001, 07:52 PM
I just upgraded my video SGRAM on my Mac G3/300 (beige) desktop.
The "millions of colors" option is now available (yea!) but I'm still stuck on 1152 x 870, 75Hz resolution. This is the only res option available in my monitor controls. Any ideas? The monitor is the LaCie 19" Electron with a VGA adapter.

Louie
02-13-2001, 08:48 PM
Do you mean you upgraded the on-board video to 6 MB max? If that's case and there is no PCI video card involved, it's most likely the VGA adapter. It's either junk like many of them are, or it's not set properly. You need a high quality adapter with multiple dip switches.

These folks have a good one called the Mac PnP http://www.griffintechnology.com/ for $20. Setting switches 3, 6 and 8 on should do it for a modern SVGA multiscan monitor.

Z
02-14-2001, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes I maxed out at 6 MB and there is no PCI card.
The VGA adapter that came with the LaCie has 10 multiple dip switches and
they are all on. Here's another twist, this locked setting exsisted before
I purchased this monitor (when I had an Apple 17" display that did not use
an adapter).

Louie
02-14-2001, 10:52 AM
I've never seen one where "all on" is the solution. Do you have an instruction sheet? The latest PnP that I bought from Griffin has 8 switches and actually is purplely/blue with LaCie embossed on it. On the back is a list of settings for LaCie monitor settings. It says for Electron 19 Blue, 4, 6, 8 on. All on is passing only one resolution.

Z
02-14-2001, 11:08 AM
Not sure if I should try the settings you mention as my adapter has the 10 switches? The sad thing is that there were no instructions that came with the adapter and virtually no information that came in the box with the LaCie monitor (and adapter). Oh well, time for a call to LaCie...
Thanks for the help. I'll surely tell all of my Mac designer friends about the Mac Guru site, it's been extremely helpful!

Louie
02-14-2001, 01:57 PM
Because of the different number of switches, I doubt the same settings apply. Comp USA (I hate them) sometimes has good switchable adapters for about $25 with instructions. They always have cheap, no-good adapters.

If you experiment by changing the settings, don't forget to restart to resynch after each change.

The basic problem that you have is that the adapter is not letting all the right signals thru as it is now set.

magician
02-15-2001, 04:38 AM
also remember to cycle power on the monitor itself after each change.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif