PDA

View Full Version : how to play .avi format in quicktime

bif
01-28-2001, 11:01 PM
not sure if this is the right forum or even right site for this question, but you guys are true professionals and jacks of all trades: how can I play an .avi file with quicktime? I have quicktime pro but when it opens the file I get the dreaded warning that some compression is not available and the video portion does not play, only the sound. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

magician
01-29-2001, 06:17 PM
hmmm.....that's weird. AVI's play seamlessly for me using QT4.1.2....did you use the separate QT updater to do a custom install and ensure that ALL QT resources are downloaded and updated?

maybe you need to install some version of the Windoze Media Player? It may include a codec or something....come to think of it....ah. Here it is. You need Indeo Video and Intel Raw Video, both extensions installed by IE5.xx. They are both installed by Explorer, and allow QT to play AVI movies.

that should do it. Either enable them in Extensions Manager, or reinstall IE5, the latest revision available.

Louie
01-29-2001, 06:38 PM
All those Indeo codecs are downloadable from Apple. I've got Intel Raw Video, Indeo Video, Indeo Video 4 and Indeo Video 5 in my Extensions Folder.

RedPhoenix
01-30-2001, 09:12 AM
Hmmm... Even if you have all the extensions Louie mentions (I do), you might not be able to play .avi files if they're DIVX-encoded. You need a special player for those and the only one I know of sucks big time.

RP

pixpicker
01-30-2001, 02:53 PM
I'm also having the same problem viewing .avi's even with the extensions mentioned. Do you absolutely need the pro version of Quicktime to view these files or only to edit them?

magician
01-31-2001, 12:40 AM
not sure. Doesn't OS9 include the Pro version of QT automatically?

pixpicker
01-31-2001, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure, I'm running OS 8.6.

crazyeights
01-31-2001, 03:49 PM
yeah, some of those have obscure codecs......I get the same prob in IE 5, and Quicktime 4.1.2 and even 5 beta, OS 9.0.4.....videos of cars and 4WD's with engine sounds but no video.......really......that's all I use it for....honest......

No QT Pro in 9.0.4, don't know about 9.1

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 31 January 2001).]

Louie
01-31-2001, 04:00 PM
If you bought QT Pro, it carries on to 9.x by entering your registration number.

motopsyco
02-02-2001, 02:56 AM
I've just gone through figuring out how to play AVI files with QT. Plain vanilla AVI should be okay with QT. AVI files under the influence of MPEG42 & 43 codec compression will give you audio only and a file error message. I downloaded Windoze MediaPlayer and have it running along with QT, this allows QT to play AVI/MPEG42.43 files. I also have the latest DivX player and do the same thing to play DivX compressed AVI files. I discovered this by just playing around with the DivX player and QT (I use QTPro 4.1.2). Too, when you have QT play a DivX file, quit the DivX player and QT will continue to open DivX files untill it is also closed. Lather rinse repeat. I have no explination as to why these combinations work, they just do and I am doing my happy dance.

I have used this method to export AVI/DviX files to Quiktime MOV files. The DviX player will export a file too, I forget the type, but you can use it to produce a QT/MOV file also. The current DviX player is butt ugly, but it is "STABLE".

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by motopsyco (edited 02 February 2001).]

Louie
02-02-2001, 03:43 PM
Thanks Motopysco!

You've made my day by giving a valuable solution to a problem! This is very refreshing to me after seeing almost nothing but questions, many repeats, and being expected to come up with an answer and ...... oh. never mind.

Thanks again. I'm going to d/l that MS stuff and try your solution.

motopsyco
02-02-2001, 10:57 PM
Your welcome Louie, my pleasure.

BTW, I'm using OS8.6 on a first run G4/450, QTPro4.1.2.

I'm going to reconfirm my findings when I get home, just to be sure. I am confident of my findings with the DivX player. I need to double check it with the MediaPlayer. Post your findings too.

Cheers!

motopsyco
02-03-2001, 06:28 AM
Okay, forget using Windoz MediaPlayer, it's the DviX player! I just downloaded a AVI/MPEG42,43 file and tried to open it with QT with MediaPlayer running along side it. It did not work; however, when I quit MP and fired up the DviX player, QT opened up the AVI with on problem. I was missled because I had everything running at the same time I stumbled upon my discovery. The Dvix player can be downloaded from PureMac:
http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#divx

It does require MediaPlayer, but not to play AVI files with QT.

Cheers!

motopsyco
02-10-2001, 11:43 PM
Okay, now I'm stumped (pissed?); has anyone been able to duplicate my experience using the DviX player along with QT to play AVI files? I know I'm not hallucinating, what I described did happen, now I can't seem to get QT to open AVI's. Humm. THe only thing that has changed with my set-up is QT's memory allocation (?).

Waasssuuup?

Louie
02-10-2001, 11:55 PM
I can't seem to get away from here long enough to try it, but I will.

As a side note, MPLAYER Multimedia Player's latest version added .avi this week. It's audio only.