PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Monitor on G4

everc1
02-06-2001, 11:24 AM
My employer purcchased an old ATI graphics PCI card to accept a second monitor. The card does not take up the entire PCI slot in the G4 and I have a sneaking suspicion it is the wrong one. I don't have the exact model at hand, but it did have some pictures of 9500's for install directions inside. System req's were suggesting to use 8.5 and the copyright on the manual was from 99.

Miles
02-06-2001, 01:26 PM
A PCI card is a PCI card and should work fine. It seems to me that the difference in length of slots has to do with 32bit vs. 64bit or 33MHz vs 66MHz something or other. I don't have a new mac so I can't expand on that for you, sorry. In any case, the slots will be backwards compatible and the video card should work just fine.

Miles

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 06 February 2001).]

Louie
02-06-2001, 01:27 PM
If it shows in the Apple System Profiler, post the details. Will this get you some Brownie Points with the boss?

magician
02-07-2001, 12:29 AM
it should work. The difference in form-factor is because the latest Macs have 64-bit PCI, but most older video cards (all PCI video cards, in fact) are 32-bit at this point. Correctly done, both revisions of PCI are backwards and forwards compatible. Just like the ATTO UL3D and UL3S.