PDA

View Full Version : how's tt128/8 stack up?

kjay
02-01-2001, 11:48 PM
hello...

helping a friend out enter the new century. picked up a G3/233 desktop on ebay and was wondering about the video on it (haven't recieved yet). i have my old twin turbo 128m8 left over from my ptp and was wondering how that card stacks up against say a voodoo 3 and or onboard video. having trouble finding any performance comparisons and it has been awhile since i used it.

thanx
kj

Louie
02-02-2001, 01:25 AM
The TT still does quite well in 2D accelleration (It doesn't do 3D) and works with 9.04. Haven't tried it with 9.1. Be sure to get the latest driver from our FTP site.

Voodoo III is not bad considering that it was designed as a PC Glide game card. The latest beta flasher and drivers are on the FTP site. It does Glide very well, Open GL OK, RAVE OK but who cares, and is fair with QuickDraw. It doesn't do QuickTime accelleration.

The on-board video is fair to good if you have the full 6 MB's of VRAM. The Rev A Rage II chipset is an old timer; the Rev B Rage Pro is better, but don't expect to play the latest 3D games with either. The one big advantage here is that the on-board video is on the main 66 MHz bus (twice as fast as the PCI bus).

I'd guess about a draw between the three of them for 2D and scrolling accelleration. Voodoo III is best for 3D.

kjay
02-03-2001, 01:00 AM
thanks louie,

just the info i was looking for. i might stick with the tt since my friend is more apt to be doing 2D with some basic photoshop and i'll have the option of any monitor without adapters. once again the depth of knowledge at this site is amazing. it is definately "one stop shopping".

thanks again.

kj

PENDRAGON18
02-04-2001, 10:21 AM
I have a TT128 8MB and a V3/3K 16MB. The V3 is faster for 2D in my experience. This is on a PTPRO G3/500. Sure the PCI bus is only 33Mhz/64bit, but the V3 runs at 166Mhz for the 3k, the 2k is about 143Mhz I think. This is much faster than the TT. The ATI ORION 16MB is a bit faster still - I think the ATI cards can cache QT mvies with any available VRAM - because they are faster than the Voodoos for 2D, but only clocked at about 110Mhz (or is it 90Mhz?). Of course the fastest 2D is the PROFORMANCE3. The PROFORMANCE4 looks great, but is very expensive unless you NEED a dualhead AGP card. Of course a PCI mac can not use that.

[This message has been edited by PENDRAGON18 (edited 04 February 2001).]

Louie
02-04-2001, 02:10 PM
Gee whiz! I'm really impressed; especially since the guy only asked for layman's summary and comparison of TT, V3 and on-board video.

kjay
02-04-2001, 04:52 PM
thanks for yet more info. can't hurt to be informed.

i'll muddy the waters with yet another comparison. i've the opportunity to acquire a ATI XCLAIM 3D Pro PCI Video Card with 8MB of VRAM for about 80 bucks. i'm assuming that this is a "current" card according to ati's website (screen downloads suck on their website so i have'nt researched it too much there) and might not be a bad deal to get current 2D/3D support. am i correct with this assumption and has anybody dealt with this card?

ofcourse the tt and voodoo are free.

thanks again

kj

kjay
02-04-2001, 05:22 PM
actually just noticed that there is a $30 buck rebate on that card from ati and it sells for $85 brand new.

EGPoulin
02-04-2001, 10:52 PM
I have a Xclaim 3D pro 8M (and have for 3 years now I think). It is a GREAT card. Pretty fast 2D (somewhere in the 240% Macbench range on a PTP/400) and can still produce playable frame rates in Unreal and Quake3. Overall I am super happy with the investment I made (I got it for $200!). Worth every penny but I'm not sure how it would compare to a free voodoo 3. Blows the TT away though.

~~~Eric~~~

magician
02-05-2001, 01:21 AM
the Rage Pro is an older 64-bit design which is still usable but not comparable in terms of performance to a newer Rage 128 or Radeon. Still, for $85, it has its uses.