PDA

View Full Version : short video card for G3 AIO

blackies4
01-25-2001, 08:39 PM
I would like to run a small second monitor (14") off my All In One...I obtained a full size PCI card
but it won't fit...seems to take about an 8" card. Are there any such items which can be obtained?
Would taking a hack saw to the metal case so the card will fit do more harm than good??

Thanks...gurus rule.

Dogstarman
01-25-2001, 11:15 PM
More harm than good definitely. Unless you take everything out of the case and be very careful of metal filngs. Which card did you get? Most video cards are the shorter format. I have a few ATI cards (mostly Nexus GA and Orion) that are 7" cards. The Vodoo3 series are that size as well.

Louie
01-25-2001, 11:43 PM
I've been checking documents. The Apple Developer Notes show a picture of installing PCI cards in the AIO. They give no dimensions but the picture looks like it takes the standard size card. Also, there is no mention in the narrative about the AIO requiring restrictive sizes. What card did you try?

blackies4
01-26-2001, 02:11 AM
I confess...the card in question was the 39.00 UltraRez OEM from, ummm. I don't have it here as I write
this, but it certainly seemed like one very long card...comparing it to a surplus voodoo II Game Wizard
sitting here (which measures in at 8 inches), the UltraRez seemed longer. C'est la vie.

I suppose this is a good excuse to retire/redeploy the Rage128 from the 8600 and get a PCI radeon?

Also, in terms of anything that could be hooked up to a PCI firewire/USB combo card (or the IDE or SCSI
internal on the AIO)...what would be a good solution for adding a CDR burner? Thus to make the Quasimodo
sing, as it were. Thanks. Gurus rule.

blackies4
01-26-2001, 02:23 AM
from TIL archive article ID 30330:

"Since the Power Macintosh G3 All-in-one can only accept 7-inch PCI cards,
the 7-inch PCI 586 (100Mhz card) is the only PC Compatibility card that can
be used in this computer. The Power Macintosh G3 All-in-one cannot accept
12-inch cards, including the 12-inch PCI Pentium (166Mhz) card."

My question is, what length are typical PCI video cards, such as the Rage 128?
Thanks...Gurus rule

kaye
01-26-2001, 01:21 PM
From end of video card to outside of slot connector (side with external video ports):

Ult Rez 9 1/16"
TwinTurbo 8MB 8 15/16"
Radeon PCI 6 9/16" (yes about six and one-half inches) k

magician
01-26-2001, 04:33 PM
since the AIO is really a Gossamer or Artemis, it has three slots. A RATOC USB/FireWire will work well in it.

you definitely need short form-factor PCI cards in it. Is your ixM card built so you can snap off the extension? Or is the entire surface of the PCB populated with circuitry and chips?

kaye
01-26-2001, 06:18 PM
magician,

There is no snap off point on the Ult Rez card but if he did, he would lose about 9 of the 16 VRAM chips on the board.

Radeon PCI would fit nicely. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 26 January 2001).]

blackies4
01-26-2001, 07:14 PM
I get the impression I would be smarter to attach a larger monitor (I love my RasterOps 7515
at the office) monitor via Radeon etc. and use the 15" on the AIO as the aux screen for
various and sundry panels, Launcher etc. If I remember correctly (and who does these days http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
it was the Gurus who recommended the 19 inch Hitachi...most rewarding purchase I ever made.
Gurus rule.

magician
01-27-2001, 06:05 AM
yeah...we STILL like those 19-inch Hitachi's. Razor sharp.

we've been using these SONYs we got in cheap on the liquidations page in the basement, and they aren't bad. In fact, they're great for the price. You just don't want to put one side by side with a Hitachi. As long as you don't do that, you'll never realize what you are missing.

PENDRAGON18
01-27-2001, 11:44 AM
There is no snap off point on the Ult Rez card but if he did, he would lose about 9 of the 16 VRAM chips on the board.

I'm nearly positive that I've seen some ixMicro cards with 'naked' PCB hanging out the back. I think most of their cards are 8", or close to it. Maybe he has that dual head display card?

kaye
01-27-2001, 01:15 PM
P18,

Both my TT8MB and Ult Rez 8MB are essentially 9" long plus/minus 1/16", as I posted. Neither is a dual head display card but they will not fit in a 7" space, nor an 8" space. My Ult Rez is the same OWC purchase as b4. You mean a card hanging out the back of the computer?

The problem with these two older cards is that they use sixteen 512KB vram chips which take a lot of PCB space whereas the Radeon PCI looks like it has four vram chips, each 8MB, and about the same size, maybe even smaller, as the 512KB chips on the older cards. k