PDA

View Full Version : mach 64

professor
01-06-2001, 04:33 AM
I'm pretty sure it's an ati mach 64 vid card in our 9500. Isn't there a vram upgrade for it? If so, how much and where? or would we be better off to go with a different card? It's an avid editing system and one monitor comes off the avid boardset and the other off the mach 64. i don't think it would hurt if we changed the 64. thoughts? suggestions? you know the little happy mac face during startup, has anyone else tried counting those instead of sheep to go to sleeppppppppp, drifffffffting nnnnoowwwwwww. must go rest synapses before some malfunction.

Dogstarman
01-06-2001, 10:35 AM
Well, any upgrade for older video is likely to be almost as much as a new decent card. Consider that Apple VRAM for 4-year-old machines still sells used for up to $25/MB and you can have 4MB on-board. As far as the video card, it should be an ixMicro TwinTurbo. And it should have come with 2MB installed. There is indeed a 2MB upgrade (the only upgrade) available, but I have no idea of pricing. You would undoubtedly only be finding a used one. That's my input.

And yes, I have counted the smiling Macs before sleep. Quite reassuring.

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 06 January 2001).]

professor
01-06-2001, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll just let it be. One more good reason to push the bosses at work to upgrade the system.

magician
01-06-2001, 04:37 PM
some early 9500's did indeed ship with the ATI 64-bit card, and by modern standards, it is very slow. I would not waste time or money on that card. After MW-SF, weigh the cost of a new Radeon. That would probably be a good upgrade, depending on cost.

I see a real problem arising in the video acceleration market with the discontinuation of the Rage 128 Orion. It was possible, after rebates, to get those things for around $100-125. At that price, they were an absolute steal.

professor
01-06-2001, 06:37 PM
we use mitsubishi diamond 20m monitors, what would be a small priced card we could upgrade to? the only progs we really use on the system is photoshop and the media composer editing software. The way I figure it, is why not spend the left over money in the budget for system upgrades.

magician
01-07-2001, 01:27 AM
at this time, there are really no low-cost video accelerators on the market. You may be able to score a Rage 128 Orion or Nexus on eBay, but I wouldn't install anything older than that, myself.

again, there should be announcements in this product category this coming week.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

professor
01-08-2001, 05:36 PM
I think we'll be sticking with the one we've got for the time being. thanks for all the info.

professor
01-10-2001, 02:12 AM
The reason I wanted to get another card is the resolution doesn't match the resolution on the other monitor and I would like to have monitors that match in resolution. So a window won't double in size from one monitor to the other. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had an old video card that could help me out.

Dogstarman
01-10-2001, 11:13 AM
What resolutions are you working with. Have you tried using SwitchRes? Neat little shareware that I played around with for a while. Unlocks a whole lot of resolutions in monitors. Example. I now have 26 resolution/scan combo's for my Apple 1710 monitor. Be forewarned, though. Not all resolutions it gives you are "good". Some are too low or too high a scan rate for the monitor. Just know the limits of your monitor and don't let things work outside the limits for too long.

professor
01-10-2001, 02:33 PM
Montitor 2 is running at 800x600 @60Hz, Monitor 1 is at 640x480 @67Hz. I would like to get monitor 1 to 800x600. We're using a couple of Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 20M's. The rez for monitor 1 is the only one listed when I check the options.

[This message has been edited by professor (edited 10 January 2001).]

Dogstarman
01-10-2001, 06:15 PM
http://www.madrau.com/html/FAQ.html

Go there and as the answer to the second question there is an app called "AllRez". If you DL it and run it, it will tell you all the resolutions you can get with SwitchRes. Easy way to see if this might be your answer. A lot cheaper than a new video card, and you can use it with any new cards you might get.

MacMikester
01-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Something's wrong professor,

You should have more than one resolution available for Monitor1. Is this the one on the ATI card? Does it have a Mac-to-VGA adapter on it?

professor
01-10-2001, 09:07 PM
there's 2 prbs with switch rez software. 1. we have os 7.5.2. 2. we only have pc's connected to the internet, no macs.

yes, that is the only rez that shows up for monitor one (the one on the ati card). i don't know about the connection to the monitor, will have to check that tomorrow.

Louie
01-10-2001, 09:55 PM
I think your old video card requires a Mac to VGA adapter. Most are junk. Find one with multiple dip-switches that can be properly set to let all the available resolutions through. Griffin mades one for about $25

MacMikester
01-11-2001, 12:05 AM
Your ATI card has a Mac video connector and your monitor is VGA, so there must be an adapter in play. Just set it to a multisync setting if one is available (some have dip switches, some have wheels) or set it to pass the refresh rate/resolution combination you want. Can be difficult to figure out if the settings are not marked on the adapter or you do not have the documentation for the adapter. Remember that you have to choose a setting that allows a range of combinations, or the one combination you are looking for, that is supported on all three items: card, adapter and monitor.

Regards

professor
01-11-2001, 03:39 AM
I'll did through the mass of cables and see what I can find out. I'll let you know something tomorrow, or today, which ever applies at 1:30 in the morning.

professor
01-11-2001, 06:06 PM
It looks like we're going from the mac card to the rgb input on the mitsubishi diamond scan 20m.

MacMikester
01-11-2001, 07:53 PM
Interesting!

So you you have no sense line coming back to give you info about the monitor and no control line to change rez/refresh and its running at default.

Try hooking that monitor up once to the other monitor's connector and change the refresh/rez to what you want. See if it stays there when you move it back. If not, get a Mac-to-VGA connector and VGA video cable to replace your Mac-to-RGB cable.

Hope this helps

professor
01-11-2001, 08:42 PM
Weird huh, They are both using rgb inputs and I can change the settings on the other monitor, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway, I wish we had a mac hooked up to the net so I could get switch rez, oh well.

[This message has been edited by professor (edited 11 January 2001).]

MacMikester
01-12-2001, 08:14 PM
Might have to do with the Avid boardset supporting 'sync on green' and the ATI card not supporting this mode. No other way to communicate with the monitor if it only is connected by RGB inputs.

professor
01-12-2001, 09:36 PM
tried switching around a few things, but no defferent. oh well.

Louie
01-15-2001, 10:32 PM
Does the monitor have VGA or old Mac fittings or just BNC? If so get a different type cable.

professor
01-16-2001, 03:11 AM
BNC. The thing is, only one rez shows up in the control panel.

Louie
01-16-2001, 08:49 PM
I ran into that once a long time ago with an old Mac and a Radius Monitor. Never did figure it out then.

professor
01-16-2001, 10:08 PM
Just another reason to urge the bosses to upgrade the entire system. Like that will happen soon.

kaye
01-17-2001, 12:52 AM
My monitor has both the regular cable and BNC connectors. The BNC connectors do not correctly work on a Mac (do work on a PeeCee) because the Display Data Channel (DDC) information of its capabilities that the monitor normally sends to the computer is not sent in BNC. So you get one resolution because the computer does not know what the monitor is capable of. k

magician
01-17-2001, 06:33 AM
damn, k.

not a week goes by that you don't stagger me.

I worship in your general direction.

Louie
01-17-2001, 06:16 PM
Yep; too bad he spent 30 years in the wrong profession.

magician
01-17-2001, 11:59 PM
hey, this is cooler than flying jets off aircraft carriers.

who wants to be a naval aviator? Too many egos, chicks hanging around all the time, flying around, shoreleave in exotic ports....wars...

hmmm.

well, sometimes it's tough to come up with anything good for an encore, I guess.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

and we all have to grow up eventually. I don't mind peace and quiet anymore, interestingly enough. I work to make space and time for it.

I used to dread it. What the hell was I thinking?

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 17 January 2001).]

professor
01-18-2001, 02:16 AM
grow up! no, sorry, don't think so.

magician
01-18-2001, 03:57 AM
I know.

My wife often asks me if I am twelve.

Interestingly enough, my son is twelve, and well, we are pretty much on the same sheet of music sometimes.

professor
01-18-2001, 04:58 AM
My wife always calls me the tinkerer. For instance, the 3-disk cd player in our bookshelf unit quit working, I opened that sucker up the first chance I got.

professor
01-18-2001, 08:20 PM
Any body know where I can get a vram upgrade for the mach 64 card? I saw one on ebay, even had a bid, but couldn't get back to check on it, so someone else got it. Oh well.