PDA

View Full Version : best video card?

jacob
01-02-2001, 04:10 PM
ok gimme opinions!

Sawtooth dual g4s-- performing Photoshop pretty much exclusively. So, need fast redraw- don't need 3d.
I am leaning towards Nexus 128.

Dogstarman
01-02-2001, 04:20 PM
Formac ProFormance 3 would be my choice. The 32MB on the Nexus is really, truly for bad-ass 3D monsters (both making them and playing against them). A handful of folks both here and elsewhere take the stance that the Formac (while not supporting OpenGL) edges out most any other competition in scroll speed and 2D flexibility. If you don't need the 3D, get the Formac. It's probably a little pricier, though. For a variety of reasons. But that is my contribution.

Louie
01-02-2001, 05:08 PM
Also, the Nexus is getting hard to find.

jacob
01-02-2001, 06:08 PM
did you guys know that ATi has a promotion and will sell end users a nexus for 190 clams (this is trade-in, but i think you can just send any old video board)

what about the formac 4? is it worth the wait?

magician
01-02-2001, 10:57 PM
if ATI is really doing that, it's impossible to beat. Radeon PCI is not yet released, and Radeon AGP is pretty pricey.

we are now officially sold out of all Rage 128 video cards. No more left. All we have now are Formac, until Radeon PCI finally ships.

kaye
01-03-2001, 12:00 AM
Actually the ProFormance3+ 16MB/32MB does 3D very well, does support OpenGL, has its own OpenGL drivers, and is faster than the V5 in OpenGL as measured by CineBench. It is just not optimized for games. But 3D, as differentiated from 3D games, is very well supported. k

jacob
01-03-2001, 09:43 AM
but what about the ProFormance 4? Have you folks heard anything about it? Or are we all to wait until after the 13th?

Dogstarman
01-03-2001, 01:14 PM
ATI usually has some kind of trad-in or -up program going...just not too well publicized. And you often don't have to surrender your card for the upgrade. I got an XClaimVR 128 for 50 bucks off just for photocopying my NexusGA 16MB card.

Now, about that ProFormance4 card. It looks damn impressive. It'll be a sweet card for a solo monitor, but with its specs dual-head would even be cool. The web-basics are about all I can find out about it (except for some speculation), but I am ruled out due to my lack of AGP-ness as of yet. I bet that bad boy needs some cooling, though. Dual 300 Mhz Glints with 32MB each and a separate GammaG2 geometry processor? Yep, it'll be a new way to make toast in your computer.

magician
01-03-2001, 01:54 PM
I believe we'll know more about actual shipments of PF4 in a week or so.

the propaganda I have (sent by Formac) states that the AGP PF4 uses a 300MHz RAMDAC with 64MB SGRAM, and provides DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT with exchangeable VGA, LVDS and DVI modules. What that actually means in practice remains to be seen.

no statements about ship-dates. Yet.