View Full Version : ATI card now or post-Macworld?

12-30-2000, 12:55 PM

Looking for some help as I'm unfamiliar with the industry. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif


1. ATI is offering a $30 rebate for their cards through 13 Jan.
2. Macworld is 9-13 Jan.
3. I'm not really in a rush. I have a G3/333 xlr8 card on order from the able geniuses (genii? - is this the origin of genie?) here at gurus. (Hope to see it soon.) It's for a 7500 and it seems there are intermittent reports of video display issues for upgraded legacy powermacs. Barring that, I don't really see a compelling reason to get a card. Ideally, I'd like to wait until after Macworld and see if ATI brings out some new product (with FSAA?) and get that, postponing the endless upgrade issue for that much longer.

To sum, the real question is, Does ATI have anything in the works, rumored or otherwise? Or am I just waiting in vain?

Support is important to me and 3dfx legacy cards will be unsupported according to all the signs I see, e.g. Nvidia only bought their patents and *not* their products. That leaves 3dfx with a big, fat, gravestone waiting to fall.

This is a home machine for the web, email, office (with occasional Excel overload- quite possibly the most underappreciated/used software available), and light gaming, although that seems to be changing.

I appreciate any and all insight you could provide.



12-30-2000, 06:01 PM
definitely wait until after MacWorld.

ATI will finally begin shipping Radeon PCI. It looks pretty decent. Not sure about cost, though.