PDA

View Full Version : DVD-ROM drive

outis
10-25-2000, 01:51 PM
I guess this's the right place to ask whether anyone knows of a DVD-ROM drive (pref. Guru-sanctioned) I can install in place of the stock CD-ROM drive in my Miles2'd 128VR'd and xlr8'd PM7600.

SCSI, obviously . . .

TIA

magician
10-26-2000, 03:08 PM
part number K55114 DVD-ROM ATAPI+ Decoder for Mac by EZQ will do it....but it is an ATAPI device, meaning IDE...I don't see how it can possibly work in a 7600, unless I am missing something.

we don't sell this part number, for a variety of reasons.

primarily, our thinking is that we would rather use our huge screen tv's than our Macs for watching DVD's. For cable tv, etc., we just use the ATI Rage 128VR.

goliveira
10-27-2000, 06:20 AM
M,

you can via Sonnets ide card or VST's Ultratek, Acard makes then too. They both have dual channels and 4 drive support.

G.

jmlv2
10-27-2000, 08:07 AM
You can try :

1. Hitachi GF 1050 DVD-RAM SCSI Drive (Got mine from Macgurus, Magician can tell you if they still carry them)
2. A Toshiba SCSI DVD Drive (It's installed in my office machine so I can't readily recall the model No.)

Both drives work well in my 9600's and should be no problem in a 7600.
You can use a hacked Apple DVD Player v. 2.2 to watch DVD movies since you already have an ATI 128 VR card.

You cannot use the Apple/DVD driver to control these two drives. Use either CD SpeedTools 5.1 or Radialogic drivers.

Hope this helps in your decision.

outis
10-27-2000, 10:10 AM
Thanks, all, just what I needed.

magician
10-27-2000, 02:35 PM
we will resume carrying the Hitachi DVD-RAM as soon as the new mechanisms are released.

no idea when that will happen. We've already been waiting for weeks. They were originally forecasted for "mid-September."

PENDRAGON18
12-26-2000, 09:05 AM
I hear that Intech drivers are not so good for DVD Movies. It looks like the Toshiba 5x/32x (1201 - I think) SCSI and 10x/40x (1401) SCSI are the best bet for DVD on the legacy macs. It seems that we need FANTOM Drivers for DVD to work with the WIRED4DVD/BOA card.

I checked out their site. It almost looks like, with a quick glance, that they are a hacked version of Apple's DVD/CD drivers. Maybe that is just because they use the same ICON for the extension?

Where are these RADIOLOGIC drivers?

I am looking to get a DVD-ROM drive after X-MASS/New Year so any thoughts suggestions or ideas are welcome.

jmlv2 - did you post your results to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com?

magician
12-26-2000, 03:25 PM
didn't Radiologic get acquried by someone? I believe I heard they were acquired by ....Apple?

not sure.

Intech drivers are not, I believe, compatible with the Wired card at this time. I do recall having a conversation with them a few months ago where this was considered a priority for them.

we do use Intech drivers with our own Hitachi DVD-RAM, and they work seamlessly. We don't use DVD-ROM. At least, not on our computers.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jmlv2
12-26-2000, 09:32 PM
P,

Magician is right...the Intech drivers don't work with a Wired4DVD card. Radialogic has been bought out and probably will resurface sometime in the future.

One thing about Legacy machines...you can get a hacked Apple DVD player to work with an ATI 128 card but somehow a SCSI DVD drive does not perform as well as an IDE DVD drive. SCSI drives exhibit a "hiccup" once in a while under the Apple DVD Player. Thus a Wired4DVD card is the only way to go for watching DVD.

I have tried using the CD/DVD TuneUp drivers and these work as well as the Radialogic drivers. However, like the Radialogic drivers, it too has difficulty reading Video CD's (very popular here in Asia) and some "burned" Audio CD's.

The best DVD drive for a Wired4DVD/SCSI setup is the old Pioneer DVD-ROM-U02 which came with the CoolDVD kit some years back. This drive works with the current Apple CD/DVD drivers and does not exhibit any of the bad traits listed above. DVD playback is great and works seamlessly with Virtual PC.

Hope I have been of help.

PENDRAGON18
12-28-2000, 09:07 AM
The best DVD drive for a Wired4DVD/SCSI setup is the old Pioneer DVD-ROM-U02 which came with the CoolDVD kit some years back.

The only model # I've seen for the Pioneer DVD-ROMs is
305 (new for this year I think - or maybe its next years model)

I havent seen any U02 model, but if you know where to get one or if anyone has the PHANTOM setup and knows the bundled DVD modem#, POST IT!

Mike Breedeen tested the 303 modem for his sites review of the Wired4DVD card. It seemed to work pretty good, but I think he had an IDE/ATA drive in a B&W G3.

Dogstarman
12-28-2000, 03:53 PM
What I remember hearing back around when Apple announced a "bad" quarter was that they were restructuring their outlook on CDR technologie and it was a blunder to not even offer it on a 1500-600 dollar machine. So they needed someone who had the technology up and running. They partnered with RadiaLogic to piece together the future. I can only hope that the future lies in CDRW and DVD for all...both older machines and new ones.

PENDRAGON18
12-28-2000, 04:07 PM
I found one that was close -
I guess it is the 2001 model
#ORDER - DVD-U05S 10X DVD/40X CD-ROM

maybe this one will work well?