PDA

View Full Version : powerbook tv?

chmed
12-21-2000, 01:22 AM
What solutions are there for watching tv on a powerbook. I have a Pismo as well as a Wallstreet. I know about the mytv usb unit but what else is there?

magician
12-21-2000, 06:05 AM
I think that's about it, at this time.

PENDRAGON18
12-21-2000, 11:56 AM
I think there is a cardbus CAPTURE card for the G3-PBs. It can accept a camera and I think has regular RCA and S-Video inputs (not RF though). There is a Firewire cam, but it does have some issues with the early Pismos built in firewire (built before August I think). The work around is to use a cardbus FW card.

I guess you could also get PCI expansion chasis and plug in a ATI-VR, forMAC TV card or FUSE capture card. The FUSE would be SERIOUS overkill for just watching tv! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

magician
12-21-2000, 04:26 PM
using a capture card with RCA or s-video inputs would require using the Apple VideoPlayer application and a VCR or some other video device that tunes a cable source and outputs NTSC. While VideoPlayer is a minimalist app, it does work, most of the time. I would not assume that it will be compatible in all cases, however. Testing would be mandated.

the Eskape Labs devices are fine, from the hardware standpoint. The included software is immature, and sometimes buggy. They are probably the best integrated solution at this point, however, in a case like this. The fact that you can save a PCI slot is nice, and the fact that they work with iMac and USB-capable PowerBooks is key.

chmed
12-23-2000, 01:12 PM
Aren't the usb devices lacking in picture quality or have they improved a bit lately? I've read quite a few reviews saying that usb throughput is just too low. I guess I'll just wait for the studio firewire thing from formac.

magician
12-24-2000, 12:59 AM
they are surely low-end.

no doubt about it.