PDA

View Full Version : VGA possible on Twin Turbo 128?

chatwood2
12-18-2000, 04:13 PM
I'm sitting here looking at my Twin Turbo 128MA rev. 3.7 PCI video card, that I recently took out of my 9600 after adding an ATI Orion, and I have noticed 3 rows of 5 solder-filled holes adjacent to the old style mac display connector. It looks to me like one could add a VGA connector to the card by cutting a hole in the flashing and heating up these solder points. The only question is if the rest of the card is connected to the points and if the points do actually output a VGA signal.

Should I risk destroying the card to try this or am I just looking a little too hard for an easy way to add a second moniter?

Thanks,

Chris

kaye
12-18-2000, 05:13 PM
I have several TwinTurbo cards, 4MB and 8MB versions as well as several Ult Rez cards by the same manufacturer. They are all designed for one monitor. I don't know if ixMicro designed any dual monitor cards or not back in that era, but I don't recall seeing one. Both my TT 8MB and all of my Ult Rez have both ports on the backplane of the card, but you can only use one port at a time. The TT 4MB I don't recall if it has both ports.

Others with more info will be along. k

chatwood2
12-18-2000, 05:26 PM
I guess I should have been a little clearer. I am not thinking about runing two monitors on the Twin Turbo (I know that won't work). I am thinking about adding a VGA connector to it so that I will be able to connect one moniter to it that will act as my second monitor, complementing the moniter I have connected to the ATI Orion. I am thinking about this because I have not been happy with monitor quality through an old-style-apple video connector to VGA connector dongle that I have been using. I wish to connect a standard VGA moniter directly to the Twin Turbo, so I am thinking about this modification.

Any clearer?

Thanks,

Chris

[This message has been edited by chatwood2 (edited 18 December 2000).]

magician
12-18-2000, 05:39 PM
it makes more sense to just get a good video adapter from Griffin.

MacMikester
12-18-2000, 06:44 PM
Hey Chatwood,

I'd be interested in your experiment, if you coose to try it, since I have the same card, passed on to my 8500. If you are careful, no harm done, Eh?

Regards

PENDRAGON18
12-20-2000, 03:07 PM
ALL my ixM TTs and ix3Ds have MAC/VGA connectors. Only my MacRocket is MacOnly.

I did see a 4MB OEM TT that was Mac only.... It would probably be more efficient to get a $40 ix3D card - but then there is no challenge in that http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

chatwood2
12-20-2000, 08:28 PM
Well, I've decided to try this crazy stunt. I expect everything to work out ok, but as MacMikester pointed out even if it doesn't work chances are the old connector will. I have ordered necessary supplies from Radio Shack, and will try the modification next week. I'll let you guys know what happens good or bad.

Thanks for you thoughts,

Chris

MacMikester
12-20-2000, 08:29 PM
P18:

The OEM 8MB TT boards are Mac-only.