PDA

View Full Version : alternate videocard for G3 233 beige desktopmodell

Christiaan
12-18-2000, 05:04 PM
Hi there,

My name is Christiaan Kuipers. I recently bought a 21-inch monitor (VGA-multiple scan) for one of my older mac's. It's an G3 233 beige desktopmodell.
>
When I installed my new monitor, my resolutions to choose from were narrowed down to 1042 x 768, and the millions of colours option disappeared as well. Thousands of colors is the best option now.The new monitor says to support resolutions up to 1600 x 1280. And I want
that

I suspect the native videocard installed in my G3 is not able to support that, so I'm looking for a new card. I cannot figure out what would be the best
option for me to choose from the videocards offerde by macgurus. I mainly that mac for photoshop and aftereffects.
>
What would your advice be to me ?
>
greetings

CK
>

magician
12-18-2000, 06:38 PM
CK, if you are running this monitor off the built-in video, how much VRAM is installed? You can confirm this using the Apple System Profiler utility under the Apple menu.

also, did you use an adapter to attach the display to your Mac? If so, confirm that you have the adapter set to support multisync. That should enable you to select other resolutions.

Christiaan
12-18-2000, 07:02 PM
Dear magician,

My system profiler tells me that I have 2 MB Vram installed.

About the adapter that I use, I had the intention to use the one I have but it has two wrong ends, a male VGA and a female "mac" side (griffin is the brand), so instead I bought a female-female VGA, which allowes me to use the old mac cable I had from my 17-inch (it has a male VGA side) and connect it to the male side of the VGA that comes out of the new monitor.

Judging your comment, I suspect my "smart" solution is causing the problems I face. Can you confirm this ? If so, I'll order a adapter which has the right capabilities.

CK

MacMikester
12-18-2000, 07:39 PM
Hey C,

Your problem is that you only show 2MB VRAM; you should have 6MB VRAM to handle 32 bit color at the resolutions that you want. Either your VRAM cards are not seated properly or they are bad or you need to add some VRAM. Then study your adapter settings and see what resolution/refresh rate combinations it will pass. It will not allow all combinations that your monitor can produce.

Chuss

Christiaan
12-19-2000, 06:22 AM
Dear Macmikester,

The standard Vram in the g3 233 desktop is 2MB. I can add extra ram, I can change pci-cards but I haven't got a clue how to check or add Vram to my videocard. Any tips ?

greetings CK

p.s. I ordered an adapter which will support multiple-scan monitors, and whichs support higher resolutions

kaye
12-19-2000, 12:19 PM
CK,

I suspect that things are getting confused, I know I am. The question is, are you using the built-in video or are you using a PCI video card? Go here http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg3desk.html and look at the top of the diagram (the backplane or back side of your computer). One of the connectors on the back is the Monitor Port. If you are connecting to that port, you are using the built-in video. Notice that further to the left are the PCI slots. If you are connecting to a port on the backplane in the vicinity of the PCI slots, you are using a PCI video card and not the built-in video.

I think that you are connecting to the Monitor Port (built-in video). If so, look at the diagram again where it says Video Memory SO DRAM and points to what is a single slot for adding VRAM to the built-in video. That is where you would add VRAM to the built-in video for the Monitor Port.

Now go to http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?vram.html and look at Video Memory for G3, 2MB SGRAM $19.99 ea, 4MB SGRAM $43.99 ea. Think about this choice because there is only one slot, so, if you get the 2MB, you cannot later get another 2MB. The 4MB will max your built-in video.

Hope this helps and has not further confused the issue. k

magician
12-19-2000, 03:41 PM
I think that covers it nicely, k.

thanks.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Christiaan
12-19-2000, 03:43 PM
Dear kaye,

To clear the smoke around the problem. I'm definitely using the build-in videocard.
If possible I would like to add more VRAM to it. But as I understand I'm having only one slot to put some in. If so, then there is now 2 MB VRAM inside. Following you're suggestion I could replace the @MB VRAM by one 4 MB VRAM.

Coming back to my original problem. With 4 MB VRAM , is my built-in videocard good enough to support resultions up to 1600 x 1280 "millions of colors" (32 bit color)

Macmikester suggested below that I need at least 6 MB VRAM to do this. In that case it would make more sense to buy an alternate videocrad for my G3

Now what do you think ?

greetings CK

kaye
12-19-2000, 04:42 PM
CK,

You are reaching into the depths of where I don't know, given I have never laid my hands on a Beige G3. However, my understanding according to the Gurus pages, is that your existing 2MB of built-in video VRAM is located elsewhere, probably soldered to the motherboard, and that the Video Memory SO DRAM single slot for adding VRAM to the built-in video is currently empty.

And 6MB VRAM is certainly capable of doing 1600x1200xMillions, if your monitor can do it. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 19 December 2000).]

magician
12-19-2000, 06:20 PM
right. He has 2MB soldered on the logic board, and a vacant slot which will accept a single 4MB SO-DIMM, yielding a total of 6MB.

all he needs to do is get a 4MB SO-DIMM (http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?vram.html).

MacMikester
12-19-2000, 08:39 PM
Agreed.

C, you don't need to buy a PCI video card just to get some of the Resolutions that you want. An additional 4MB VRAM is all you might need. Simply multiply your desired resolution (width in pixels x height in pixels) x your desired bitdepth (32 bits (4 bytes)) to get the VRAM required to show that combination. EXAMPLE: (1600 x 1280 pixels) x (4 bytes/ pixel) = 8.192 MB; you can't do this resolution with the onboard video since it has a maximum of 6 MB VRAM. Even millions of colors (24 bits (3 bytes)) at that resolution would require 6.144 MB VRAM.

Verstehen sie?

Christiaan
12-20-2000, 04:13 AM
Dear readers,

My next actions will be:
- buy 4MB VRAM and install it
- set the right adapter to multiple scan settings and adjust him so that he will support 1600 x 1200 24 bits color "millions of colors", according to the calculation mentioned by Kaye this would ad up to 5,76 MB VRAM, which is less than 6 MB VRAM so it should work.

Thank you very much for all the comment. Its has been a great help. At this moment I think we could close the thread. As soon as I have tried the steps mentioned above I will report back with the result.

greetings CK