PDA

View Full Version : G4 HD recommendations for DV

mmimages
12-05-2000, 04:47 PM
I need to capture up to 2 hr. of uncompressed video via Premiere 5.1c. I purchased Micronet's 180gb SANcube in April and it just arrived in Nov. They had problems w/firewire. Apparently problems still exist. Apple/Micronet haven't perfected firewire for external capture/storage of DV. I do not want to fall back on external SCSI. My next option is adding additional internal HD in my G4 450. What recommendations can anybody offer?

kaye
12-06-2000, 01:39 AM
mm,

I don't capture video, so how big a drive is needed for 2 hrs. of uncompressed video? k

despaxas
12-06-2000, 05:27 AM
34Gig for 2 hrs of uncompressed video (30fps-thousands of colors and 16bit 44.1k stereo) on an HFS+ disk. Subtract 1.5Gig if no audio. A little less than 38Gig for millions, but the slightly better quality does not, IMO, justify the extra time and space used for rendering and compression.

Try a little capture sequence onto your internal IDE drive and see how it looks. If ok, you could add another fast and big IDE drive (and cheap too). If for profesional use, U2 SCSI captures beautifully. You would have to purchase a SCSI card since there is no on-board SCSI, but it would still allow an internal drive.

mmimages
12-06-2000, 10:16 AM
thank you. Not only do I need the space to capture; but as much space again to capture additional hrs. plus room to store my edits. I just heard yesterday that my problem may not be firewire causing loss of sync; but Adobe Premiere 5.1c. On my long captures I am losing sync and blamed firewire &/or SANcube. I was possibly wrong. Can anyone enlighten to this truth (Premiere is the culprit)?

despaxas
12-06-2000, 02:47 PM
All video capture apps (except one) will lose a/v sync after a while of capture, unless the capture card syncs the a/v in hardware before it is written to the drives. I have used Premier 5.1c and it is adaquate, but Final Cut Pro 1.2 is by far the very best. One of the biggest advantages is it's AutoSync Compensator which eliminates all a/v drift. It's flawless for as long as you have disk space. It can also mix up to eight channels of audio. Unless you have a high quality capture card with on-board audio, FCP is the only way for reliable long capture sync. At about $900, FCP is about as much as a quality card (like the Igniter sold here), but it seems you are already capturing with firewire.

The video must be rendered after it is captured for the compensator to work. The rendered file will be a little larger than the original capture, so you can imagine that it takes a while to complete. LVD drives would significantly speed up rendering time.

[This message has been edited by despaxas (edited 06 December 2000).]

kaye
12-06-2000, 05:38 PM
Thank you despaxas. Some very detailed and important information.

mm, though I am a novice at this, it looks to me that you need FCP to try with your Micronet's 180gb SANcube. If it turns out that you need SCSI drives, the Gurus Cheetah U160 LVD ST173404LW 73.4GB and an appropriate LVD SCSI card, LVD cable, and LVD terminator would be the ticket. The Miles2 kit, meaning Miles2 U2W card with LVD cable and LVD terminator and SoftRAID would be more than adequate.

One thing I should mention, all of the Cheetahs on our web page are 3.5" low-profile or 1" or 25.4mm height. The ST173404LW is the exception. Though 3.5", it is half-height, meaning 1.6" or 40.64mm height, the same height as a CD-ROM drive. So it needs a full size bay for installation. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 06 December 2000).]

mmimages
12-06-2000, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone.

magician
12-06-2000, 07:26 PM
des, that really WAS a beautiful post, and I bow in your general direction.

thank you.

and k? If I haven't already said it somewhere else, welcome back!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif