PDA

View Full Version : Need QUICK Advice: Orion vs Nexus?

EGPoulin
12-05-2000, 04:25 PM
Ok, well I mostly do 2D work, but occasionally venture into the world of 3d games (falcon4, Quake). I am also in the market for a new Vid card. Looking at either the ATI Nexus or Orion. I searched XLR8yourmac.com and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Couple of questions:
For 2D:
-I'm only driving a 17" @ 1024x768/millions so the extra ram on nexus wouldn't really matter for that?
-Is 2d performance esentially the same since both use the same chip?

Obviously, in 3D I know that the extra ram would help, but it's not that much of a driving force for me.

I'm leaning toward the orion...(from Gurus of course :-) )

Thanks for your quick advice, I'm gonna plunk down the order tonight.

~~~Eric~~~

magician
12-05-2000, 05:43 PM
2D performance is pretty much the same, as they use the same chipsets and occillators.

while the Nexus has twice the memory, actually monitoring how that memory is used reveals that you almost never, ever really use it, unless you are living in 3D apps. That's really what its for, IMO.

turns out we have one or two Orion left on the shelf, and like five Nexus. I think these are the last we'll see for awhile, maybe forever.

don't forget the rebate coupon (in .pdf form) on the FTP site! It's for like $30 back!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 05 December 2000).]

EGPoulin
12-05-2000, 05:52 PM
Thanks M, That's pretty much what I thought.

I just gotta make sure that I can pay rent and I'll be ordering (hopefully)!

~~~Eric~~~

Michael
12-06-2000, 10:35 AM
sounds like you have a very similar arrangement to mine. except i run a 19". i do a little 3D but mostly 2D work. i have the orion and it's great. no complaints. i think for the money you can't go wrong.

M

PENDRAGON18
12-06-2000, 02:54 PM
For games the ORION/NEXUS is a waste... the Nexus is more so, because its not fast enough to take advantage of all that VRAM.

A V3 ($60, and getting rare), V4 ($150 - new and supported) or V5 ($200 - this s a V4x2 - more or less) is a good way to go. The New PCI RADEON should also be fairly killer.

Of course it can depend on what system you put this on.

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!