PDA

View Full Version : OSX native joysticks

dagaz
06-18-2003, 01:07 AM
I've been searching for a while now to try and find an OSX native joystick or gamepad. I know about USB overdrive and Gamepad companion. Anyone know of anything that has native OSX drivers?

kaye
06-18-2003, 06:53 PM
I don't know a whole lot about this but here is what I think I know and am ready to be corrected.

When I started gaming I was interested only in flight sims, X-Plane and Fly 2. I soon zeroed in on X-Plane which comes with both an OS9 and OSX version, flying the big jets. To get started, the author of X-Plane recommended an old CH Products USB joystick called GameStick 3D. My luck an eBay listing for the joystick had just terminated with no takers. I emailed the seller and he agreed to $25 shipped. The driver for OS9 or earlier was very old and didn't work but the native sprockets saw it and the game setup for it worked. In X there is a generic driver, no need to install a driver, and again the game's joystick setup in X just worked. So much for an old joystick. No drivers necessary.

Trying to fly a 747-400 with a twist grip joystick with just a couple of programmable buttons and using the keyboard for all of the rest of the items was a real pain. So I purchased a USB CH yoke and rudder pedals. In OS9, all that was necessary was to program the yoke/pedals within X-Plane. Same for the X version including my current 10.2.6.

I sent the GameStick 3D to a friend with a G4-1.25G DP and he had the same experience with it with several flight sim games. He has an extensive number of them. He was even able to get an old ADB Thrustmaster yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals to work with a Griffin iMate and a 3rd party driver in OS9 but I don't know if he has gotten it to work in X yet. Last I heard, he was working on that. k