PDA

View Full Version : Video/Graphics card for games...

rwm
10-16-2002, 11:11 PM
OK guys, I am going to buy a Video card to run two monitors. BUT don't want problems with games or anything - Unreal Tournament - rarley played. Using a QS 733, 40+60 Gig, 896MB RAM, GeForce 2,

I have never had to research or look into video cards too deep so my knowledge is "limited" seems like the fisrt time I opened her up - the 7500 I mean. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

The reading at Barefeats and internet seemed to confuse me - there were 3 card at Barefeats that performed about the same. There is either a lot of choices or just a few - I am missing something.

Thoughts on a game card... heres the other post. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000382.html

Thanks again
Randy

ricks
10-17-2002, 12:05 AM
?I thinks ya ought to stick with nVidia. Didn't they have a GF3 card that was two headed? I am most impressed with the GF3 I got in my QS and would do the same again.

?Enjoy Randy, you DESERVE a great card, you NEED a great card. Whoops, I don't think you actually need any more motivating.

Rick

kaye
10-17-2002, 12:26 AM
Or as Apple sez:

Choose the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro card, the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX card, or the ultimate in graphics acceleration and visualization, the NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium card. All three are 4x AGP with ADC and DVI connectors, full dual display capabilities and include a DVI to VGA adapter cable.

I have a GF3 (single display) in my G4-800DP and a GF4ti dual with 128MB DDR in my G4-1.25G. The GF4ti is a beauty. k

ricercar
10-17-2002, 12:49 AM
To the best of my knowledge, only GF2 and GF4 support TwinView (now nView) for multiple monitors on one video card. In the OEM datasheets, all GeForce 4 GPUs, both MX and Ti, support two simultaneous displays. In the PC world this is usually deployed as three connectors on the card: one VGA, one SVideo, and one DVI connector. Any two of these may be used at a time.

However, I've never seen an Apple GF4 card. Apple may not choose to provide two ports on all their GF4 cards.

Be forwarned, though, you can't just re-flash any brand of PC GeForce 4 the way you could reflash some GF2 and GF3 cards. GF4 cards have a hardware strap that determines whether a card may be used on a Mac or x86 box. Unless you want to get out your soldering iron, you can't hack a GF4 PC card to use in your mac.

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/hr.gif
I bought an ATI Radeon 7000 when I needed a dual-headed PCI card for my Macintosh. However, the R7000 doesn't have the "Charisma" 3D gaming engine that powers the Radeon Mac Edition or Radeon 8500, so a hardcore gamer might not be satisfied with a R7000.

------------------
ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 17 October 2002).]

kaye
10-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Just today, dealmac shows the GF4ti available at MacResQ for $370 (with coupon code). MacResQ says the card can be ordered and will be available 10/22. k